veggi food for longer trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I'm sure you've all had a look at the trip planned for 2006 going down a river in Norway. I'd love to go but there is a huge problem when it comes to food.
There are a few different dehydrated buger mixes around that keep a long time and are easy to cook but the space and weight involved in carring a months supply is out of the question.
Does anybody have any ideas?

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Andy said:
I'm sure you've all had a look at the trip planned for 2006 going down a river in Norway. I'd love to go but there is a huge problem when it comes to food.
There are a few different dehydrated buger mixes around that keep a long time and are easy to cook but the space and weight involved in carring a months supply is out of the question.
Does anybody have any ideas?

Dont like the sound of dehydrated Buger :shock: :wink: you can get dehydrated Onion,peppers and mushrooms from ASDA these are quite good mixed up with other stuff, or dehydrated soya mixes with spices added ."Raven" also do dehydrated packet meals suitable for vegetarians they do breakfast,main meals and sweets, lived on them in Borneo for a while on them they're not bad but needed chilli sauce IMO :wink:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
the burger mix is what I'm thinking about. They do taste much better with otherstuff added.
I think it would be good to have some for emergency lack of food for other people.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Andy said:
I'm sure you've all had a look at the trip planned for 2006 going down a river in Norway.

You mean Sweden :roll: :wink: Or rather, Norway then Sweden then the Sweden/Finland border :eek:):
I've thought of emergency food but it'd be very meat based.
You can theoretically dry anything out to make it small and light for portage. Take a look at the menu at www.tilltopps.com. It will at least give you inspiration if not any actual foods. :biggthump

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Lentils in all their forms would probably be a good choice andy. Full of protein and other yummy goodness and not a bad weight to usability factor. And very cheap if you buy from an Asian shop. If you use split lentils with some dried onion and chillies, and an indian spices flavoured stock cube (plus maybe a dash of garam masala at the end) you can whiz up a dhal in the same time it takes the accompanying rice to cook. Stick any greens you can find on a grill over your boiling pan and they will steam. Hey presto! Dinner! Obviously goes well with chapatis too, which are the easiest bread to cook in camp.

It serves as the everyday diet for about a billion people in India so I reckon it should keep you going for a month!

:biggthump

Danzo

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Was also going to suggest lentils. But you should get used to the flavour before going!
Also, you can have a sort of lentil bolognese if you take spaghetti or noodles, and flavour the lentils with a packet of tomato cup-a-soup.
If you want to take nuts (and aren't allergic to them) then I can give you my nut stir-fry recipe, and apparently walnuts and spaghetti is quite nice.
I could also suggest cous-cous. I haven't read through the thread, but if you are planning to stop anywhere for a day then you can take some dried beans, soak them during the day and have a stew with some other veg, tomato puree (with mixed herbs or cumin and paprika) and pasta or rice, or a stir-fry.
Actually, as you're in a canoe, you can soak during the day anyway if you take a box with a water-tight lid.

That's all I can think of right now.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
I just remembered, there's also some stuff called IVP I think? Or something like that that is dehydrated. I haven't used the stuff much, but from recollection it can be used pretty much as meat when prepared (mince, stew, fry), though I forget whether it needs to be soaked or boiled to prepare it... sorry I can't be more helpful.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I lived off lentils for 9years. How could I have forgotton them. I do miss my mums cooking (and her ability to creat bits for bushcraft).
I feel like braking into song

my paddles clean and bright flashing like silver,
Follow the wild goose flght dip dip ans swing
dip dip and swing

which reminds me someone was talking about food by a riverside which was that again? Would it help up on the trip

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Lots of mushrooms dry really well. They'll need to be soaked but the water can be used as a stock. If you wizz the dried mushrooms in a blender before you go they'll take up a very little space and you can just bung in a couple of spoonfuls into stews without the need to soak them first.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Emma said:
I just remembered, there's also some stuff called IVP I think? Or something like that that is dehydrated. I haven't used the stuff much, but from recollection it can be used pretty much as meat when prepared (mince, stew, fry), though I forget whether it needs to be soaked or boiled to prepare it... sorry I can't be more helpful.

I know the one - TVP (had two vege sisters). It's nice and as you say can be treated just like meat. Small and very light too.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
TVP for thoughs reading this thread that don't know stands for totaly vegan protein. Sos mix is one example of this to give an idea of weight a packed of 385g makes about a kilo of stuff when miced with water.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Don't forget the levels to which you can supplement your diet from wild foods on such trips - I often carry as little as 50% of what I expect to eat if I'm ot and about and let nature fill in the rest.

Even if you're not someone who knows a lot of plants, the really obvious ones like nettles, blackberries/raspberries etc can add a lot to your diet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE