Vegetarian Wild Food

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
innocent bystander said:
The one thing i must have with mash spud (anything with mash spud in it) - Nutmeg.....Hmmmmmmm :)
Mash, sauted onion, steamed sweet heart cabbage (shredded). Mix together with plenty of salt, pepper and nutmeg and place in an oven proof dish, make wells in the mixture and crack eggs into them. Cover with grated cheese and bake till the eggs just set :D

Hellz

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ChrisKavanaugh said:
The wonderfull, and sadly neglected english writer G.K. Chesterton wrote a rather amusing poem about vegetarians. I believe one of his comments was that alcohol being distilled vegetable matter, it was the purest form of that dietary philosophy :rolleyes: Seriously, countless explorers perished because of ignorance and cultural prejudice against native foods. Tapioca was discovered by a conquistadore committing suicide, a lovely little California native called Miner's lettuce saved many men from scurvy during our gold rush .....

Now there's an angle the vegetarian societies haven't exploited in their persuasive campaigns! :D

I saw miner's lettuce for the first time last week gowing in an organic gardens' poly tunnel and knew nothing of it's history. Thanks for the info Chris.
I'd like more outdoor cooking veggie recpes too.

Cheers,
Toddy

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
This is a great idea. I'm a confirmed meat eater and intend to stay that way, but do respect the freedom of choice, so all power to you.

The recipes so far sound quite tasty, so I'm with Chris, please bring 'em on! I'll try most things. :D

Dave

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Toddy said:
ChrisKavanaugh said:
The wonderfull, and sadly neglected english writer G.K. Chesterton wrote a rather amusing poem about vegetarians. I believe one of his comments was that alcohol being distilled vegetable matter, it was the purest form of that dietary philosophy :rolleyes: Seriously, countless explorers perished because of ignorance and cultural prejudice against native foods. Tapioca was discovered by a conquistadore committing suicide, a lovely little California native called Miner's lettuce saved many men from scurvy during our gold rush .....

Now there's an angle the vegetarian societies haven't exploited in their persuasive campaigns! :D

I saw miner's lettuce for the first time last week gowing in an organic gardens' poly tunnel and knew nothing of it's history. Thanks for the info Chris.
I'd like more outdoor cooking veggie recpes too.

Cheers,
Toddy
"I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that." The Importance of Being Earnest - Oscar Wilde
He was a vegan :)

Details for Miner's Lettuce (Claytonia perfoliata)http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Claytonia+perfoliata. Native of N. America. Naturalized in Britain. View photo here (click image for larger version)

Suggestion

Perhaps people could start posting veggie recipes as new threads on this forum, that way they will be easier to find ;) And if you had a photo even better. Always makes me doubly hungry to see the food :D and that way people can add their own suggestions, adaptions in one place.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Suggestion

Perhaps people could start posting veggie recipes as new threads on this forum, that way they will be easier to find ;) And if you had a photo even better. Always makes me doubly hungry to see the food :D and that way people can add their own suggestions, adaptions in one place.[/QUOTE]

It might be tidier to have a recipes sub forum in that case ? Make it kinda easier to search etc - any thoughts on that

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
innocent bystander said:
It might be tidier to have a recipes sub forum in that case ? Make it kinda easier to search etc - any thoughts on that
I am not sure. Given, as Ed has said, the idea of a separate ' Fair Game' sub-forum was to ensure all details of animal processing are kept off the main 'Lovely Grub' forum (and therefore avoiding as much as possible any posts which might cause offence and any which do can be moved as Ed also said). To make it more inclusive. Then it can function as a central hub for all sorts of advice, tasty tips and ideas whether on foraging or wild food, or camp food or veggie or meat or fish or veg or kosher or halal etc. Then we all get to share our own specialities and inspirations :) I love reading about veggie food and recipes even though I eat meat also ;)

I am not against the idea of a recipe sub-forum as such, but the problem with sub-forums is that they tend to confuse people as to exactly where stuff should go, or simply get ignored. And often when we post about a certain plant, many times people (quite rightly) pitch in with a recipe or cooking suggestion which makes it hard to remain consistent.

By posting a recipe as a new thread it just makes it easier for people to see it when browsing and find it later. And with clear titles people should be able to see if it is a meat or a veggie or whatever. ;)

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Here's a way to keep it simple. If all the indgredients in a recipie (or post ;) ) are suitable for Veggies maybe we could use the suitable for vegetarians symbol in the title some how. You know, the V thingy.

Perhaps we could add a V type smiley thing.

What do you think?

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Hey me too, although my strict philosophy is that if I catch it I can eat it - having just come back from France where we used our toes to wriggle up a bucket full of 'clams' from the beach, we had a long discussion about how to cook them (baked vs. fried in red wine and wild garlic), and then let 'em go - a bit like Big Game hunting where you stalk the animal on foot for hours, then take his picture and scarper...

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Toddy said:
Tear off lumps about the size of a cadbury's cream egg and flatten between floury hands.

I am not vegitarian but I can sense a mention of a creme egg four threads away. Mmmm chocolate!!

I have to say I have more respect for vegitarians than I do for meat eaters who could not prepare their own meat. If they cannot "stomach" that an animal has had to die for their meal they should not be eating it. Anyway climbing off soap box and going t look for a creme egg now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE