Vegetarian Wild Food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
surly it all falls under the catagory of grub.. most bushcrafters of the carnivorious sort will always be please to hear and lend advice on wild veggies and fungi!?

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Ah-ha that's two of us at least then. Nice to know. Glad to meet you Innocent Bystander.

Thanks TomTom.
Yeah, it does fall under the catigory of Grub of course but I ask for two reasons really:

Firstly, because it would make things good 'n' easy for for us to find the info we're looking for if we could go straight to it. Just as the Carnivores among you guys have the Fair Game Sub-Forum for instance, it would be nice if we had one of our own too.

Secondly, as Vegetarians/Vegans, it would be preferable to be able to avoid posts that detail animal killing and preparation easily and it would give us that.
And that's all really :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
tomtom is correct. The way we origionally set up the forum was to have all veggie stuff in the 'Lovely Grub' forum and all meat, hunting, game prep etc in a seperate sub forum so that the vegetarians among us do not have to read such posts. Unfortunaly not everyone sticks to this and alot of single posts in threads end up talking about meat in the lovley grub forum.

If you find anything on game prep, hunting etc in the lovely grub forum, please feel free to report the post/thread to me and I'll gladly move it over to fair game :)

:D
Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ummm.... just noticed aswell that the form description 'Lovely Grub
Foraging, wild food, drink, hunting, fishing etc.' should not have hunting and fishing in it ..... I'll get it changed ;)

:)
Ed

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Glad to meet a fellow v Feral :D
Personally i'm not to fazed by other people's enjoyment of carnie food - as long as they don't force their opinion on me - my inner pragmatist tell's me that realistically it is a fairly modern phenomenem in the west, and i wasn't always a veggie. Strangely i actually found this site while googling for vegetarian ration / camping food, and found a thread on here about it. I usually keep the vege thing to myself as it can get a bit "political" in some places.Not here, of course, though.... :) That and nobody believes me...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
innocent bystander said:
Glad to meet a fellow v Feral :D
Personally i'm not to fazed by other people's enjoyment of carnie food - as long as they don't force their opinion on me - my inner pragmatist tell's me that realistically it is a fairly modern phenomenem in the west, ...

Hi folks, I'm vegetarian too...and really allergic to fish. Not vegan, I still find I crave cheese. My husband says that if I'm going to eat fat, then, "eat good, tasty, fat dammit!" so we only have butter for baking/spreading, and I do like our local heather honey.
I cook meat for HWMBLT but I prefer if it's clean kill stuff; cheap meat means something suffered for it, basically.

Veggie camp food is a good idea. I didn't realise that the threads had been split so as not to offend sensibilities....I'm not political about it....*I* just can't and won't eat animal. Doesn't mean I don't know how to dress and cook it though and deal with skins and bones.....totally lose my appetite while I do so however. :(

What should we start with? How about breakfast?

POTATO SCONES

Instant mashed potatoes
Oil/fat/suenut
S.R. flour.
Liquid :)
salt & any preferred seasoning

There are no measurement for this, just make up some mashed spuds, (they have a better texture if you add some oil/fat/suenut to the liquid) season well and allow to cool to hand hot. Add two big spoonfuls of liquid...soyamilk/left over last night's beer/water and mix well. Now slowly stir in as much flour as the potato mix will hold and still stay like dough. Tear off lumps about the size of a cadbury's cream egg and flatten between floury hands. Cook on a scoured, hot stone or frying pan or pot lid 'til they puff a bit. Turn and cook the other side.

Play around with the recipe until you get the proportions you prefer. Smash is good but needs care so that you don't get dry bits. Cheap, generic supermarket mash works fine. Ideal basis for adding herbs in season too. If you're having a sosmix fry-up then fry the scones in the left overs in the pan. I like mashed turnip and carrots with some coriander through mine. Great with vbangers and mushrooms. Cold ones are good for lunch too.

Cheers,
Toddy

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
May I begin by saying that three glasses of very nice wine (on an empty stomach) on a Thursday evening, loosens the typing fingers considerably. Apologies if I waffle hereafter. ;)

I agree 100 per cent, mate. I have no intention of mentioning it out of context but I wouldn't say being veggie is antagonistic though. I certainly don't mean it to be. Nothing worse than an evangelistic vegetarian. ...hmm, OK, there are a lot of things worse than an evangelistic vegetarian, but you know what I mean.

As I see it, we all have our individual takes on what Bushcraft means to us, and if we all respect that, we have loads to share and befefit from in these forums. For me, other animals are a joy. I'm too interested in 'who' they are to kill and eat them and that's the sum of it really. :)

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
FeralSheryl said:
I'm sure I can't be the only one.
Or am I? :(
I'm vegetarian too! :D

I love eating veggie food al fresco, everything tastes better outdoors... :)

I'll keep an eye out for wild recipes from fellow veggies (I have quite a few recipes, but none are particularly wild :rolleyes: )

Hellz

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Those Potato Scones sound good. I particularly like the 'no measurements' thing. Just my style of cooking. My Grandmothetr used to make the best cakes in the world that way. She just kept sampling the stuff till it tasted or felt right and I've never tasted better baking to this day.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Teehee, thank you Hellz. I found it descriptive ;)
The name that is.

As for eating alfresco, I can definitely see the attraction but personally, I have a problem with the breeze in my face when I'm trying to eat summat. I could never smoke in the open air in the days when I used to enjoy the odd ciggerette either. I usually have to carry my food off and eat what ever it happens to be, under cover somewhere (anywhere). Naturally I'm great at barbecues, LOL!

A 'lil drinkee outside appears to be fine, however.
There's a quirk or a foible for ya.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hellz said:
t (I always make too much mash potatoe on purpose, bubble and squeak! :D )
Hellz

Oooh *real* food :) ..I like fresh mustard seeds cooked in with mine. Any kind of cooked veg that's a bit broken up can make a fritter with flour and liquid added. Beer's good 'cos it helps stuff rise a bit, and some kind of oil or fat helps the texture. I like spices and herbs added but I know they're not for everyone.
Bhaji type things are quick and tasty when you're hungry and cold and they're good for adding foraged foods into.

Cheers,
Toddy

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Mashed Potato is one of my favourite food stuffs. The dried mash is so light to carry around and so easy to turn into something tasty you can't beat it.

Never tried including beer in the cooking proccess, but I will do now.

Actually, talking of Grandmothers earlier, Bowdie's parents leant me a recipie book that belonged to his Grandmother when she was alive. It dates back to the turn of the last century. I'm sure some of the dishes could easily be adapted to cooking outdoors. I'll try some out soon and if they work, I'll post them.

Does anyone else know of any (reasonably simple) 'recipies that time forgot' that we might find useful, I wonder?

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The wonderfull, and sadly neglected english writer G.K. Chesterton wrote a rather amusing poem about vegetarians. I believe one of his comments was that alcohol being distilled vegetable matter, it was the purest form of that dietary philosophy :rolleyes: Seriously, countless explorers perished because of ignorance and cultural prejudice against native foods. Tapioca was discovered by a conquistadore committing suicide, a lovely little California native called Miner's lettuce saved many men from scurvy during our gold rush and we drive over, sweep away or cut down the finest single food source in the world here and complain when the squirrels disappear :( Then every survivalist tome talks about the perfect firearm rig for disinfranchised neocons blundering past these foods in search of deer that 90% of the hunters failed to shoot during hunting season allready :confused: This heavily vegetarian, opportunistic omnivore, organic buffalo meat eater would like more veggie stuff also :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE