Vapalux M320 with Tilley 164H - how to shape the mantle before lighting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adey

Nov 3, 2010
Yorkshire
following threads on here I have got some Tilley Mantles for my Vapalux. The Mantle support tube unscrewed very easily and getting the mantle on was simple enough (though the tied string was a knats tighter than I would have liked)

now I am left with a big bunch of mantle and a little unsure if it is best to try and get it to a globe shape or leave it to droop (as it where) as this it seems to naturally want to form. Seems a bit close to the glass in places right now (c5mm) mind

so - any suggestions before I light the fella?

Adey

Nov 3, 2010
Yorkshire
guess a picture might help - this is what it wants to look like . . .

vapaluxM320tilley164H_zps6257790c.jpg

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
If its the same as a coleman/tilley then just light the mantle with a lighter, outside they smoke a bit. It will burn back. Then once it's all gone out preheat the lamp and fire it up.

You may not need to light the mantle with the lighter, the preheat will probably sort it.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I've now found some instructions from a Tilley XMantle part no 164X.

Basically it says fit it, then arrange so that it looks like your photo, then light.
Quote from instructions
"Arrange the mantle fabric evenly(as illustrated) and then when the lamp is lit, it will burn off and assume the correct shape."

Cheers

Grebby

Last edited:

Adey

Nov 3, 2010
Yorkshire
. . . it will burn off and assume the correct shape." . . .

excellent stuff - thanks

just need for the rain to stop and I can go outside and light up the prelighter

hope it works as the lamp is a1973 and looks to have not run since about then . . .

Adey

Nov 3, 2010
Yorkshire
the weather isnt playing nicely (wet and very windy here) so will have to light outside another time . . .

for those who do try this (and I suspect you may already know this but I am relatively knew to the forum) - the easiest I found to install was:
(i) unscrew the mantle support tube
(ii) push that tube through the mantle (pretty snug fit) using the metal ring on the mantle for support so it ends up inside the mantle (should have took pics!)
(iii) clip the metal ring over the burner tube (snug but easyish) and the mantle support tube will be loose. Make sure any excess mantle inside the ring is tucked outside so it doesnt get in the way of the burner
(iv) screw the support tube back into place, the metal ring on the hood allows it to rotate if you are gentle

shimples, and no strings to knot :)

I didnt use any Copperslip this time as the lamp is virtually unused, I probably would next time but only put it on the threads inside the burner tube - if you put it on the mantle support tube it will end up on the mantle the way I did it

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yep just burn it off as you have it arranged in your pic and it will shape itself on it's own to this...

002-20.jpg

I found the 164 H mantles to be ok. They are quite robust as mantles go but the light output is a little low compared to other makes but does give out a nice warm light. I still have 2 164 H mantles in a couple of my M320's even though I have started to use the Vapalux standard V42 300 CP mantles again. Until the happies break I can't see the point in removing them even though the V42's in my other 2 lamps are considerably brighter and give a whiter light.

If you like to experiment and want a brighter light you can use a standard V42 mantle available from Base-camp.co.uk and just tie off the top part and let the bottom hang down before you burn it off. This lets the mantle form closer to the tube and also with a tighter weave pattern and hence a brighter burn. The reason the happy mantles burn yellower and dimmer is because the mantles burn off further away from the tube and have a big space inside which is designed with Tilley lamps in mind and why some M320's struggle to get enough vapour into this big space. Also the 164 H weave is quite open which will give less light .

Here is one of my lamps with a V42 mantle left hanging to compare with the first pic of the Happy mantle...

001-25.jpg

You probably know this but it's always best to burn off mantles outside. Some contain radioactive Thorium like the Tilley 164 X which is probably a good idea not to breath in. The 164 H happy mantles I bought had 'non-radioactive' printed on the package but other 164 H happy mantle packs I have seen did not have this information on it and the ebay seller was unsure hence the good reason to burn off outside.

I hope you get your M320 working, they are pretty bomb proof and very easy to work on if there is a problem. Might be worth swishing the tank out with a bit of paraffin and draining it off to make sure no crud gets sucked up the tube if it has been left standing a while?

Atb,

Steve.

Adey

Nov 3, 2010
Yorkshire
well here is my M320 with Tilley mantle burnt off, looks just as it should. And yes i was done outside - I even waited 2 days for the rain and wind to stop so I could do things outside

vapaluxM210tilley164Hlit.jpg

The first go a lighting was a flop. 5 goes with fresh Meths got nowhere so I resigned myself to getting a service washer set and striping it down - very furstrating as I had paid a decent price for what looked like a minter

Anyhow to cut a long story short I started by lubing the pump and realised I wasnt hearing any bubbles when it was used. So I got a bamboo BBQ skewer and set about cleaning the green gunk from the bottom of the tube. Then I tried to move the valve - it wasnt moving but I wasnt sure if that was normal. In the end I gave it a "proper tap" and it went clunk. Now it opens to gentle pressure and when pumped I hear bubbles for the second half of the stroke

So next step is have another go at lighting up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE