Vans over 3.5 tonne - a legal minefield?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
sounds adventurous as winter approaches! do you have washing facilities at work?

Gym, showers, 3 x 24hr canteens, TV rooms, pool rooms, free wifi etc.

Looking forward to moving out of my current van...

temprape.jpg

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Judging by your profile pic, you should be able to drive a 7.5 tonner. You can even drive one pulling a trailer without additional licensing.

Good luck getting it insured though. I had a 3.5 tonne van and my choices were either to register a business and get it insured as a commercial vehicle or register it as a motor caravan (following conversion to DVLA spec). I couldn't get it insured as a private vehicle with anyone. I think some rule changed during my ownership back around 2000. So I sold it and bought a car.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Judging by your profile pic, you should be able to drive a 7.5 tonner. You can even drive one pulling a trailer without additional licensing.

Good luck getting it insured though. I had a 3.5 tonne van and my choices were either to register a business and get it insured as a commercial vehicle or register it as a motor caravan (following conversion to DVLA spec). I couldn't get it insured as a private vehicle with anyone. I think some rule changed during my ownership back around 2000. So I sold it and bought a car.

Is it that big a deal insuring something over three and a half tons as commercial?
Its certainly no bother at all insuring my smaller Transit van on a commercial (with private use listed as well) policy.
Wasn't even that expensive either.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd

I used to drive 120 tonners!
Insured than van fully comp for £270 pa.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i really don't understand whats going on here, why are you, and by the sound of it others as well, sleeping in vans at your place of work ?

please forgive me if this is an intrusive or personal question that you don't want to answer.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Is it that big a deal insuring something over three and a half tons as commercial?
Its certainly no bother at all insuring my smaller Transit van on a commercial (with private use listed as well) policy.
Wasn't even that expensive either.

I was told I needed a business in order to insure it as a commercial

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Because I work 250 miles from home and it is no longer viable to run a 2nd home
a) because house prices are not rising fast enough and
b) because of cost of running a house is rising way faster than my wages.

Oh and c) I wanted to release the capital in my 2nd home before the forthcoming government property grab.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
still can't get my head around a van though, i've worked the sites all over England, Scotland and Ireland and always managed to do deals with B&B's for longer stays....up to 3 months.

is that not an option ?

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
B&Bs are too expensive even at £25 per night which is the best off season price for an acceptable level of accommodation. The van is the least worse option.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i can only take my hat off to you for your commitment mate, there are many that would not contemplate what you are doing.

fair play to you Imagedude.

have to admit, i've stayed in some awful places on my travels.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Apologies for stating the bleeding obvious then!

:)

i can only take my hat off to you for your commitment mate, there are many that would not contemplate what you are doing.

fair play to you Imagedude.

have to admit, i've stayed in some awful places on my travels.

I'd rather stay on my own **** stained mattress rather than a cheap B&B matresss.

Say what now? :rolleyes:

If you look back through past economic crises the only way out was for the government to grab wealth; expect a pension and property grab in the near to middle distance...:(

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
There is another option, being as it looks as though you already have a tidy towing vehicle, is to do out a trailer. Obviously a bit of theft issue, so would have to do something about that. But it would get around some insurance issues.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Two issues. I) insuring a commercial vehicle as a self conversion camper? The DVLA restrictions on conversions to commercial vehicles younger than 10 years old. The DVLA requirement insisting the outside of the vehicle is as standard and must resemble a campervan/motorhome and not a commercial vehicle for class 4 MOT or re registering as a camper/motorhome for insurance/mot.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
As previously posted, loads of info on expedition portal about fitting out campers/vans for long term use.
No big deal living in a van if you have facilities at work I've done it for the last 3 years, as you say, far better sleeping in your own mattress and a load cheaper.
I used a Disco 1 before getting my RB, compact and bijou but standard bushcraft sleeping gear keeps you plenty warm enough and comfortable, a comfortable bed makes a huge difference to the experience, add a second battery to run your toys, laptop (get a tv tuner if you want one for the laptop) etc. LED lighting uses bugger all power, go for a roof light rather than side windows for better stealth, blackout curtains for the front and rear windows.
I know people recommend kingspan etc but I used cheap sleeping pads contact spray glued to the side panels, very flexible, easy to cut and thinner, I was car camping in -12 degrees without heating.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
You can make a van a very comfortable place. Drape all those steel walls with some interesting textiles. Asian shops are good - you can buy 5 saris for about £100 which will make the place look like an opium den. A wee wood burner is a good thing to have. Think small, doesn't take much to heat up a van. The best ones I've seen have been made out of fire extinguishers or small calor gas cylinders. I have to have a shower in the morning unless I'm roughing it - but if you have somewhere to go for that, it's cool. Nice to have somewhere clean to take a dump too.

Out in the wilderness these things are part of the challenge - but day after day you need some basic comforts in order to fit in with society!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE