Vans over 3.5 tonne - a legal minefield?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
If I purchased a van of over 3.5t GVW would I need an 'O' licence? Can I get a van re-plated to a lower weight class? The reason I ask is because I have sold a house I purchased to be nearer my employer and I intend to join the growing ranks of van dwellers at work.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I need a stealth van to get onto the carpark at work. Campers are banned due to the hoards of colonials living out of knackers old VWs.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
If I purchased a van of over 3.5t GVW would I need an 'O' licence? Can I get a van re-plated to a lower weight class? The reason I ask is because I have sold a house I purchased to be nearer my employer and I intend to join the growing ranks of van dwellers at work.

When did you pass your test? Pre 1997 then the answer is no, you can drive up to and including 7.5t on your car licence.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
You can get them reclassified but it takes ages, apparently DVLA only have 2 staff doing this job and they only answer the phone between 12 and 2.

Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
van dweller ?

gotta ask, whats wrong with a campervan ? ( cost ? )

"Stealth" campers are the way forward in many urban areas. A skylight will give nearly as much light as side windows although limo tint side windows do increase the feeling of spaciousness inside.

ID- use kingspan, rock/sheeps wool, or spray foam for the insulation and cover with ply which is then carpeted and it will make it a LOT more comfy. Plenty of info at http://sbmcc.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=idx

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Here's the gov page abput o licences - note that it refers to business use. It looks to me that you either don't need one at all, or you have a 'restricted' licence to carry your own goods, that lasts 5 years. If you're not using the vehicle for any business purposes, then you wouldn't need one. If you were taking stuff to markets etc, you'd need the restricted one.

https://www.gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator/overview

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow

If your thinking of buying something like the large transits,sprinters or grafters these all come in under 3.5 ton.
If you are not using it for commercial gain you do not need a 'O' licence.
Bob

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
+1 on the above. If it's your private transport, and insured as such, then your car licence is fine.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Another thing to consider when the van is 3500kg or over it will require a class 7 MOT (I am an mot tester) this is not a problem apart from a lot of places don't do class 7 as they don't have a big enough ramp. So unless you know of a local test station that does class 7 it could become another ball ache.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i would advise checking out if using the van 'to travel to work' is considered 'business/commercial use', with insurance for example if you insure for pleasure use only but use it for 'work/business' then it can make the insurance void.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i would advise checking out if using the van 'to travel to work' is considered 'business/commercial use', with insurance for example if you insure for pleasure use only but use it for 'work/business' then it can make the insurance void.

Don't you drive your "normal" car to work and back every day? What's the difference?

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
As said above, if you passed your test after '97. you cannot legally drive a five tonne van on your car license. O license is usually for business, shouldn't need one for personal use. Simple enough to find out anyway.
Where you may have a problem is in insuring it. A 5 tonner is a commercial vehicle, so is usually insured as such. Trying to insure it as a private vehicle may be difficult. I know of people who have tried to ensure vans as a private vehicle, and have had problems. Might be something to check out before you buy.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If your thinking of buying something like the large transits,sprinters or grafters these all come in under 3.5 ton.
If you are not using it for commercial gain you do not need a 'O' licence.
Bob

Not so sure about that one, pretty sure my brothers twin axle Transit was over the 3.5 ton limit.

Mine has a payload of 1.2 (if I remember it right) ton so is under that limit.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Another thing to consider when the van is 3500kg or over it will require a class 7 MOT (I am an mot tester) this is not a problem apart from a lot of places don't do class 7 as they don't have a big enough ramp. So unless you know of a local test station that does class 7 it could become another ball ache.

Less than that, even. My van is plated at 3.3 tonne, and requires a class 7. I think the cutoff is anything over 2.8 tonne, unless it is a single purpose vehicle, like a camper. Could be a bit wrong on the details there though.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
what van are you thinking of getting to live in?

and how are you planning on kitting it out?

I've got a SWB high roof Transit. It will be a simple conversion, - Insulation, carpet, bed, LED lighting and a Webasto heater. The van already has side windows and rear seating.

rapewagon.JPG

rape3.JPG

rape2_1.JPG

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
sounds adventurous as winter approaches! do you have washing facilities at work?

i believe roof mounted solar panels are quite popular in these situations. theres part of me that quite fancies it- but then theres part of me that isnt sure i'd last a week! especially if i wasnt waking up to a campsite in the south of france!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE