Vango Force Ten Solo Bivvy

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Vango F10 tent classic......don't you love these marketing wallahs and wallesses: if some one is looking for one of these, they might initially, and not unreasonably, go to.........

1/ the Vango website......reasonable, except there's diddly about these tents there. The "looker" being a bit canny may then realise that F10 classic is now something separate and find.....

2/ The F10 website. Very clever to get this far, but nothing on this site either.

EXCEPT, both sites at the bottom of the page refer our searcher to the ....

3/ Blacks of Greenock website. Of course:lmao:

-sorry, not exactly connected with the bivvy............oops

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
I think it's an obsolete ( old) product but after a dose of reproofing has proved a comfortable , lightweight option for me , apart from its weight ( there are lighter bivvy tents available ) it has definitely been worth its cost .......

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

That looks very similar to the Carinthia Obs bivvy (see phot).

I've owned one for about 9 years now.

Great piece of kit so long as you keep the upper material off you in heavy rain/snow and protect the under side with a mat + foliage.

Great for sleeping in but I find that I still need a (large)tarp to sit up/relax under and that also helps with the rain/snow issue.

Corinthia.jpg

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Aye Up,

That looks very similar to the Carinthia Obs bivvy (see phot).

I've owned one for about 9 years now.

Great piece of kit so long as you keep the upper material off you in heavy rain/snow and protect the under side with a mat + foliage.

Great for sleeping in but I find that I still need a (large)tarp to sit up/relax under and that also helps with the rain/snow issue.

This is exactly the reason i don't like these types of bivy's. You have the bad parts of a bivy (no space), for the weight of a tent :p. You need another shelter to be able to do the other things you need to do around camp. Better to just take a tent then, or a light splashproof bivy and a tarp.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I take your point(s) IC_Rafe - but it is a question of horses for courses.

If you need low profile - i.e. weather/application, these types of bivvy are ideal.

I've seen people on the point of hang gliding with their tents during a squall in Wales whilst the Carinthia has been stable.

I've been hunkered down in moments whilst others have still been pfaffing with fly-sheets/tarps etc.

I've laid up in close proximity to other 'stealth campers' and looked-on whilst they have shown out.

Let's not forget that this style of shelter stems from military origins (sniper-bivvy) and not bushcraft/outdoor pursuits-world, a mistake we often see made on the site when people slate a piece of kit t'd up for bushcraft without taking into account its true purpose.

My view is that hooped bivvies and tarps are probably the most versatile kit-set as they provide a number of options even if there is a (relatively minor) weight penalty.

Despite its limitations I wouldn't part with mine. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE