Utility Knives and Multitools – Are they Legal for Camping?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A very interesting video from Daniel ShenSmith who runs the BlackBeltBarrister channel.

It's likely to provoke a lot of debate about his take on how you measure the length of a blade.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
"This point here ..." is not a very precise definition for measuring things. Apparently being a black belt or barrister does not help in writing or speaking clearly and in an unambiguous manner. :rolleyes:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
This issue keeps coming up without apparent resolution.

The OP refers specifically to camping.
Of course the multi tools can be used for camping. Some are specifically made for camping.

I shall carry my Opinel #12 to any camp that I choose. It shall be packed and out of sight with my camp kit while I travel. It will be used openly in camp.

The day I can’t openly buy an Opinel#13 in the UK I shall review my stance. *
Right now I can openly buy (and already own) an Opinel #13 which has a 220mm locking blade. I can also openly buy an Opinel #150 (mm) * which I consider far more difficult to justify.

(* I’ve just checked that both items are available today.)
Edited to add:
….. from UK suppliers to UK customers.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It all comes down to common sense in the end, a little risk assessment as to where you are going as to whether you can justify your tools. Machete and billhook on my allotment and in my car as I drive there and back. Still in my car when I go to the supermarket later? No. SAK I will take anywhere, where it is not specifically forbidden.

Reactions: GreyCat

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
The definition of a 'blade' and 'cutting edge' have long bothered me. Dismantle it, and not only is the blade longer than what's exposed when it's assembled, but it's also surely now a fixed blade given it's no longer part of a folding knife. But then hasn't the item been modified in the process of disassembly and is thus no longer the item used? Ad nauseam.

I just hope such terms are applied sensibly; if not, hopefully an appeals process will bring sense.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I'm waiting for Svord Peasant style folders to be declared a fixed blade since the rear part of the blade effectively is a fixed handle. Remove the folding handle and you really are left with a fixed blade, albeit an uncomfortable one to use.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
(3) This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches (7.6 cm).

It still a grey area about "blade length".

If its not a cutting edge ....

Guess it would depend on the skill of your legal rep
In the video he mentions a recent case where the court deemed the length from the handle to be deemed to be the key length,
This could be the case law we were waiting for.
CPS have always held this stance too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE