Utag anyone???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
Does anyone here use/wear a Utag while they are out and about doing 'whatever'?

http://www.utagice.com/

As a biker I wear one incase I have an off and can't speak for myself.
They are a good idea and could save your life maybe?

If you have any allergies, conditions or underlying illness it can be uploaded onto the Utag and the medical services can read this by plugging it into their computer.

They also carry any details of emergency contacts, travel documents, etc.

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Doesnt that system rather depend on the medical services having the appropriate reader??

Why not stick to engraved medi-ID tags / bracelets?

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Well, that is rather clever then! I expected a specified reader would be required ... my camera / 'phone cards always seem to need a new card reader etc. It seems like rather a nifty idea then !

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi dave 53 here i wear an sos medic alert around my neck for multi meds
regards dave

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
i was just browsing the exhibitors at the outdoor show and this lot have a stand, i might have a look but my initial thoughts where not exactly WOW!!!

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
I've spoken with a paramedic about these usb things before, even if they had the equipment to use it, which they don't, they wouldn't for fear of viruses.

Hangman

Tenderfoot
The things that I was taught to look for (and many paramedics I came across during training) were the Medic Alert: http://www.medicalert.org.uk/ and the SOS Talisman: http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/ both are good pieces of kit that anyone treating a casualty can use for information without needing a high tec piece of kit.

The SOS Talisman unscrews and holds inside an information strip on waterproof paper so all the info that the Utag carries can be written on.

To me that is where the Utag falls over, it's reliant on a piece of kit that most potential first aiders / first responders just won't have. If you have a condition that you need others to know about then you need it to be as easy as possible for anyone that comes to your aid to get that info.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
on my last first aid course they mentioned to look for bracelets, pendants, and possible a card in their wallet.... also ICE stored in their phonebook

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
On my chain that holds my Utag there is another plain tag that I have my details and ICE number on.

I guess the Utag would only come into play actually at the hospital or wherever there was a computer.

I recently had an off on my motorbike and while I was being transported in the ambulance I asked the medic if he had heard of them and the blank look he gave me said it all.
He confirmed that if the patient isn't able to talk they check for talismans, etc. so they would have found it.

I may get in touch with Utag to let them know that the word hasn't spread very well and a bit of publicity might help matters.

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
Yes, that was pretty much my thought - if Utag aren't publicising this to the emergency services, plus showing them how to use it, guaranteeing it is virus-free, basically doing all the work around making them known and understood by the emergency services, then they are ripping people off.

Hangman

Tenderfoot
I can't see how they can guarantee it's virus free - hook it up to an infected pc and like any usb drive it can become infected.

IMO a gimmick, the medic alert and talisman are known world wide because they are brute simple - need no electricity, no kit to read.

I did see a forerunner of the UTAG many moons ago - a credit card size and shape CD - it was written by the company and closed based on the info that was provide on the application form. being rectangular it wasn't balanced and would promptly self detruct in a drive at high read speeds.

Had a chat with a friend who is a A&E Pharmacist, to help prevent computers being infected the policy is NO usb devices are to be connected to any trust computer and only a system admin can allow USB devices to read - I'm not an IT bod, but that's what she tells me.

Sounds more and more like this is a pup.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I can't see how they can guarantee it's virus free - hook it up to an infected pc and like any usb drive it can become infected.

IMO a gimmick, the medic alert and talisman are known world wide because they are brute simple - need no electricity, no kit to read.

I did see a forerunner of the UTAG many moons ago - a credit card size and shape CD - it was written by the company and closed based on the info that was provide on the application form. being rectangular it wasn't balanced and would promptly self detruct in a drive at high read speeds.

Had a chat with a friend who is a A&E Pharmacist, to help prevent computers being infected the policy is NO usb devices are to be connected to any trust computer and only a system admin can allow USB devices to read - I'm not an IT bod, but that's what she tells me.

Sounds more and more like this is a pup.

With regard the Utag stick I can't see a problem if Utag themselves wrote data to the stick and made it 'read only' which would keep it virus free?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Agreed; it is a solution looking for a problem, and not even a good solution. If it is read only you can't update it, and then the whole idea is petty much gone. And even if it is read only I have no doubts that someone might be able to circumvent it. The only way I thinkt it could work is if the interface becomes standard, and someone creates devices that can read it safely (i.e. the same way one is supposed to handle all data from users, see http://xkcd.com/327/).

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
since the recent scandels with people loosing USB memory sticks with vast amounts of personal data on them many trusts have banned all usb sticks outright from being used in any trust computer. penalty instant dismissal!
some have even gone as far as to lock the tower in a metal box that only IT staff can get into! (also stopes some scrote stealing it)

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
We don’t have any computers on the Ambulances here in Essex, some Allergies and or Conditions need to be known at the scene of the Accident, knowing at hospital could be too late. Both the Hospitals near to me, Colchester and Chelmsford WONT download information onto there computers, because of the risk of Viruses.

Bikers in our region (supposedly) have a Waxed Credit Card "sized" slipped into the inside of the helmet (between the lining and the Padding) with written personal information on with a little sticker on the outside of the lid (I have used this information on a couple of occasions) Would have meant nothing if it were on a computer memory stick, both patients were unconscious.

Probably best to keep a written (waxed Credit Card) a Med Alert Tag and or a memory Stick, until everybody is singing off the same song sheet, Especially if you need us to know something which is life threatening.

Would probably be Ok (and you would need to check with your local Ambulance Station to see which song sheet they were singing off) but the problem would be if you travelled out of area , or if a different Counties Ambulance came to pick you up, who didn't have a computer so to say....

In my opinion it’s safer to have it written on a Med Alert Tag, we all look for them.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Utag thing is part of the information 'war' perhaps that is going on now. Many say no to an I.D. card, many say yes (me included). The amount of personal information available about YOU is very high. We all (or most) carry a driving licence, hold a passport, have credit cards; we can all sign up to 192.com and find out who lives with you, who your next door neighbours are etc.

This is only my opinion, but I'd like to see a picture I.D. card carried by us all in the UK containing the easily available information about the individual, including DNA plus medical records updated at your GP or Hospital; for one thing we could leave the passport at home when nipping off to Europe for a break plus help the emergency services give quicker help.

Whats the big deal so long as you are a UK citizen and doing no harm?

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I carry a card which says 'To Whom It May Concern - Do Not Resuscitate!'

It has nothing to do with me not wishing to survive, following an accident or incident, its simply a card signed by all my friends whom cannot take any more of my humour!
happy0054.gif

That apart, even when I was running blood between hospitals via motorcycle, I never carried anything other than ID.

Still don't.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE