Using Silnylon ripstop for home made tarp

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Seems cheap to buy and lightweight.
http://www.profabrics.co.uk/show_product_info.php?ref=0001831#product

Would this be suitable for making my own lightweight tarp? I already have the sewing machine and know how to use one!

That's not the lightest Silnylon at 65gsm but perfectly suitable. I've made a few from Sil and Pu in that weight but it's at the heavy end of synthetics for shelters. For a lightweight micro tarp, I'd go lighter and use a 1.1 oz or 1.3oz ( ~35-45 gsm)

A 1.5 x 2.5m tarp from 1.1 comes in at about 200g. The 2oz stuff will be near double the weight. PU coated is quite nice too-I've a myog PU coated that comes in at the same weight as the 1.3oz silnylon, hard to find in that weight though.

It's slippery stuff is Sil, recommend keeping the hems under tension and use plenty of pins or bulldog clips until you get the hang of the stuff. Once you get used to it, it offers benefits and the slipperiness can be an advantage.

One of mine here;http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120127

Another here; http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119147&highlight=monk+tarp

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I've made two now from parachute nylon. Listed on EBay as failing the testing as it didn't let enough air through.
A bright orange one (I don't stealth camp and it makes a great marker should anyone wander off and get misplaced when we have a Cambs. meet) from 3 4M strips of 1000mm wide.
I found that when rain hit it hard it had a "misting" come through so I bought some spray on proofer for it. Works fine now.
The 2nd one is green and made from two 1600mm wide strips, 4metres long. I washed it with Nikwax wash in. Not tested yet as still keep using the orange one.
I hemmed every side after cutting and reinforced the tie out tabs (5 on each side - odd number so you can find the middle easy and next time the middle ones will be a different colour for the same reason) by sewing all around where they went on the tarp with an square and then sewed an X in the middle. It can bunch up and snap if you don't keep an even and steady pull on it through the machine. Not too hard or it will mess the stiches up.
You have to watch out for snagging on branches but no holes yet.
Oh and watch out for sparks. Silnylon doesn't like them :)
Have a go it packs up super small (4mx4m with long ropes on all tie outs in a 7"x7" bag)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Parachute nylon is silicone treated but not to the same extent of materials made to be waterproof. My Nikwax treated parachute nylon tarp mists, but none of my silicone impregnated tarps do.
The treatment of Parachute nlyon adds hardly any weight, silicone impregnation is often 30% heavier than the donor fabric.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE