Using mosquito net as tent.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Maybe you guys could help?

I have ordered a snugpak double mosquito net, image posted below.

http://i.imgur.com/5uyFJn8.jpg

Now I have seen how they have set it up, with a two ridge line rectangle set up, apparently they can be hung single wedge style, double wedge style and single ridge line style too.

I was going to use it as an emergancy lightweight tent in South India and sleep under the stars as it hardly rains there from October to March. I could use my powerpot inside with my solo stove to charge my phone up inside it too if I'm careful and prepare a bit of tea after late at night.

Has Anyone ever used one of these before or have any tips. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I haven't used a mozzie net in that way but I've put up just the mesh inner of my tent when trekking in northern Finland in mozzie season. I'd want to be sure that the net could be properly set up to exclude all of the biters since you're looking at a risk of disease transmission.

Looks like a good idea to me. Many caucasian visitors to Canada use similar shelters in the northern forests and on the tundra to avoid the mozzies on still days when they are many insects flying.

Lucky they don't bother us too much, but in an other country where they carry diseases and things maybe we'd use them too.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Looks like a good idea to me. Many caucasian visitors to Canada use similar shelters in the northern forests and on the tundra to avoid the mozzies on still days when they are many insects flying.

Lucky they don't bother us too much, but in an other country where they carry diseases and things maybe we'd use them too.

Even here in NA they carry Avian Flu.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London

Yes, with dengue and maleria and other smaller diseases I want to get a good secure set up overnight, I don't fancy a tent as its too humid. Of course there is the problem with sleeping on the floor may with crawling bugs and scorpions.

I may try to work out a way to tie my hammock up and use this net around my hammock giving me a more secure area. It may mean making two holes in the mosquito net fore and aft for the hammock lines to run through but the holes can be sealed and tied shut around the lines with a twine and knot.

Then I can sit and have my small stove working and feel like the outdoors but be in a mosquito proof area. Guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds. :)

I like to invent and design. I think sleeping off the floor would be a good idea, plus a little more cooling from the heat.
5uyFJn8.jpg

I guess I'm just foraging for good bushcraft techniques. :)

Great to meet some native people here. It's quite strange to be called a Caucasian. I certainly don't mind though, as long as I escape London, England. Lol

I'm trying to live in Kerala, South India.

Just in case things get tight with the money I may have to sleep outside to save money for boat materials.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Wow, Avien flu, I didn't realise it was there and spread by Mosquitos amongst other creatures.

I've heard Neem oil is a good repellent. India done some studies into it, I think neem oil is available world wide, but best to do some research on it first and see the studies. I don't want to suggest a repellent that would let you down.

Thanks.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Obviously the mosquito net won't be used as a shelter, from what I gather you just want to use it for the purpose it was intended. Looks fine as it is and I'd think it would do the business. We don't get many mosquitos here, early spring and late autumn seems to be the time for them. Midgies on the other hand we have in plague proportions, that system would work here for the midge too, if you could get into it without taking midges in with you.

Things to watch out for are flying animals, birds and bats, getting caught up in the mesh. You need to be careful removing these, wear gloves! or you could add rabies and ebola to your avian flu

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Naw, it won't be used as a shelter, I might take a tarp and ridgeline just in case. I heard rosemary burnt on fire or in a lamp can repel mosquito's, I wonder if it would do the same for midges too?

Worth a look. I know garlic can repel snakes.

Still worth researching.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In Ghana we slept under just our mozzie nets for most of the time as it was too hot in tents. We used groundsheets as well to keep out the burrowers. When the rains came - like waterfalls! - tarps were all we really needed but tents guarded better against any splash from the sides. If we did get wet it was so hot between storms that we soon dried out!

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Naw, it won't be used as a shelter, I might take a tarp and ridgeline just in case. I heard rosemary burnt on fire or in a lamp can repel mosquito's, I wonder if it would do the same for midges too?

Worth a look. I know garlic can repel snakes.

Still worth researching.

Nothing repels midges, deet is about the only thing that works. Best thing is to be is disciplined, if using a net that means keeping them out.

Mosquitos, if they carry malaria use a net, deet and take the meds, you don't want malaria.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Oh yes, will use the net alright. If one looks up Kerala they say there is no maleria, but in other states there is. How does a mosquito know not to cross the border of a state line?

Even saying that, two people will die of maleria a year in Kerala, so due to the polulation percentage they count that as " doesn't exist. " Crazy!

Yes, the mosquito net will be used along with Picardrin, what the Australian army uses. It's not toxic unlike Deet. No melting of plastic either. A nice product Picardrin.

Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE