Using liver as sunblock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
The other day when I was stuck in an airport I was looking through a book store and I found a kid's book written by Bear Ghrylls.

I couldn't resist having a flick through and one of the gems in the story line was using an animal's liver as sunscreen! Never heard of it myself - can't remember what the animal was either. It was also suggested that using dried liver was even more effective.

Has anyone ever heard of such a use for liver?

thanks

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
just about anything you smear on your skin will block at least some sun. Mud, guts, feces work as long as the suns rays do not penetrate.

apparently according to BG you can cover your self in Dog Feacies to keep the sun of too :rolleyes: :slap:

and you get a lot of flies for company... :D

smearing liver on yourself means also you are applying the smell of blood to your body- a good way to attract predators! (for more company) :yikes:

sounds like a REALLY good idea to me!

"diappointed by the monkeys, god created man. then he renounced to further experiments." mark twain

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think what bear meant to say was " to make a really macho-man sun cream,, I rip out my OWN liver and smear it all over myself. Im so hard me"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wonder if he's been conflating ideas.
Sunshine allows us to absorb Vitamin D. In doing so we tan.
Vitamin D is added to the mixture of vitamins D and A that are used in those high strength tanning pills. The liver is rich in vitamins A, D and I think L tyrosine (I think it metabolises something or other to make this, :dunno: I'm an archaeologist, I deal with dead things not living, my biology is pathetic :eek: )

Maybe.......I cannot think of any other conceivable reason to smear liver over oneself :eek:

apart from suicide by shark :D

cheers,
Toddy

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Now Now.... Remember we're not allowed to call him a twit because that would be flaming.
witchhunt.gif

However we can mention that he is the son of a politician. Especially a corrupt politician because that can be proven to be true.

I think I'd rather be a twit.

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
Pretty much what I thought Toddy - getting mixed up with the idea that Vit D helps you tan!

It did strike me as another one of those 'dodgy' bits of advice that seem to come from BG - having said that I would hate to miss out on a cunning trick just because I don't like his programmes :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Liver is too vaulable to do anything but eat.

(or, if you like, make into pate and eat...)

I dont know why you are all moaning about this; you should be writing to the publisher and telling them that they shouldnt put out such nonsense; threaten to sue under the `I can do this in this country` Act.

Same goes for the TV series; how many of you watched it so you could moan??

(But I still think we should have him at a Moot; Think of the mischief we could make.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE