Using broken stuff for Bushcrafting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Seat from a bicycle would make a nifty little stool.
Tire tread as replacement sole for boots.
Wire saw using the brake cable. Probably lousy for cutting branches but might work as a vertical saw attachment for the pole lathe.

being low on funds and/or having only limited access to raw materials means i'm a bit of a "pack rat" and have gotten rather adapted at repurposing over the years.... recent example: a while ago i saw a piece of handle poking up on the beach which turned out to be a machete sticking out of a banana "log" (my guess it got forgotten in the banana which then got washed downriver in a flood and then spent some time floating in the ocean before being washed ashore).as there was a big chunk missing near the tip i reshaped it with a grinder, made a scabbard out of a scrap piece of pvc pipe over the fire and sewed a belt loop from some webbing -- now it's my "beach machete" (blade length ca. 13" ), it's compact size makes it ideal for taking it with me on the bus when visiting friends, too (wrapped into a shirt and carried on my backpack; as everyone here uses machetes == no problem :) )

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What would people make from say an old washing machine...

Obvious one is a fire-it from the drum, but I'm sure there's plenty of other uses, any thoughts?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Interesting potential for an electric motor?
Mixing bowl from door
Steel sheet
heavy weights....

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Obvious one is a fire-it from the drum, but I'm sure there's plenty of other uses, any thoughts?
About face the motor, work out a gearing/sails arrangement and you've got a wind generator, or a hydro one if you do it water wheel stylee.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ancient wringer washing machine. The owner was a machinist, retired and immigrant. He rebuilt the thing into a power grape crusher for wine making. Better than anything I ever bought.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
So, I was just thinking (probably because of the thread on making an e-Bike) about broken things and then thought a thread on using broken things could be fun.

So, what can you use from say, a broken bike for helping with bushcraft/outdoor adventuring, maybe in an emergency. The premise is that it's no good for riding, but it can be stripped and bits used, what would you strip from it and what would you use those bits for?
Hope that makes sense!

cables could be used for cordage? That sort of thing...
Iv gutted trout with a peice off broken glass when I forgot to bring my knife it worked better than a knife actualy glass is basically man made flint anyways

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
By far the best woodworking awl Ive ever used is the electricians screwdriver I found in a skip with the tip broken off.
I cut the insulation off the shaft, ground it so the shaft was square in section and a gentle taper to the square point.
I can tap it into timber, give it a quarter turn and remove it with ease.
Try doing that with a round awl.

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
I've been trying out different methods of making cheapo candle lanterns,just using jam jars.Oil on water is ok,and i've tried oil on salt,but i thought it was a waste of good salt,so maybe some sand next time i venture to the coast.All this started because i watched a vid on Diwali.Anyway,went to B and M this morning,and they are selling Mason jar copies,some with lids,some with handles,for a quid.I use the wicks that i salvaged from tea lights.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Younger son told me over christmas that he has attached an old bike to an otherwise defunct washing machine so that it can be used to wash clothes on his off-grid finca in Spain. He is currently researching applications of pedal power. He gets his volunteer helpers to recharge their electrical devices usin a bike powered generator. He is currently thinking about barstools with pedal attachments so electric power can be generated as you drink and chat.

He has years of experience in re-purposing broken things on his finca. I asked him to contribute to BCuk as he could benefit from feedback but he claims to be too busy. I also suggested he make a YouTube video and cited British Red as a role model. They'd have a lot to talk about!

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Handle came off my stainless steel sieve, managed to get a new one, but, what to do with the old... a little fire bowl , perfect!
Even better when I found a circular stainless steel cake rack, in the charity shop , which fitted the top perfectly , so now it could be used as a grill, or support a pot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE