Using a magnifying glass to start a fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
My wife carries a small glass one in her first aid kit and it has been awhile since I have practiced this method. It had rained the day before and the tinder was damp, too. It was about 1550 in the afternoon. The small tinder bundle is made from Shaggy Juniper.

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture016-1.jpg

Picture017-1.jpg

Picture018.jpg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Good effort there. I too carry a small magnifyer and it works... However I have tried the same technique with a Freznel lens and was dissapointed with the result. Doesn't seem to focus the beam quite as precisely as glass.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
just been given one (bcb make i think ?) off my step son whos a squadie as a present when he came back from his nco carder in cyprus its a great present but its hard work in england and never actauly tried a proper fire just burnt paper and wood will have to try it if we get some sunshine this summer :rolleyes:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
just been given one (bcb make i think ?) off my step son whos a squadie as a present when he came back from his nco carder in cyprus its a great present but its hard work in england and never actauly tried a proper fire just burnt paper and wood will have to try it if we get some sunshine this summer :rolleyes:

Try with a bit of amadou, cattail fluff or charcloth. I had the best results with these. Paper can be a pain and so can birch bark for some reason?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Ive tried it with lenses and found if I darken the tinder in any way it works better, gets glowing and can be added to a tinder bundle

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not tried this since I was a kid but I ordered a couple of jewellers loupes off the web the other night to have another crack.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Did it quite successfully with a reversed binocular the other day...just a little more tricky keeping the beam focussed...

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I have tried the same technique with a Freznel lens and was dissapointed with the result. Doesn't seem to focus the beam quite as precisely as glass.

Most Fresnel lenses are floppy plastic and optically poor. At the best of times the focus isn't so good as even a modest quality glass lens, but when they flex, the focus goes all over the place. If you can mount the lens on something that will keep it flat that will help a lot. The nice thing about them is that you can get very big ones quite cheaply, and the large size can more than make up for the slightly dodgy focus. I have one about 8" x 10" (cost a couple of pounds) and in strong sunlight, even in England, it will light a crumpled cardboard box in five seconds flat.

It's worth preparing the area where you will focus the beam. Something like some dark tinder nestling in the inside corner of a cut-open cardboard box is good. The sides of the box heat up and so reflect heat back to the tinder in the hot spot that you're making. That can improve the energy density no end. Even if the tinder is damp you can dry it out very quickly using the lens, and then it will light easily. Dark surfaces absorb the sunlight better than light ones, so if you have for example paper which has been printed with black ink that's usually better than white paper. The tinder material should ideally be fibrous to allow oxygen to get at it better when it starts to burn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE