Using a Dutch oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mullermoon

Apr 18, 2012
yorkshire
I am going to buy a Dutch oven to use mainly as a cassorole dish instead of a mega expensive Le creusett, and for camping trips. Firstly are the ones on eBay,at around £30,any good?. Secondly , when out camping, do they have to be on a open fire to cook or can they be used on a small gas burner?[/SUB]

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I am going to buy a Dutch oven to use mainly as a cassorole dish instead of a mega expensive Le creusett, and for camping trips.

Wise move :)

Firstly are the ones on eBay,at around £30,any good?.

Depends, do you have a link to the ones you're looking at?

Alternatively you can always go to Ronnie Sunshines for your DO. I and a lot of people on here can vouch for their quality and customer care

Secondly , when out camping, do they have to be on a open fire to cook or can they be used on a small gas burner?[/SUB]

A fire would be much better as you've a big mass of metal to heat up even before you start cooking the contents

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
I have a Ronnie one....I use it on the stove in the shed and also in the oven indoors.Best stews ever.Very happy.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have one f the Ronnie 4.5ltr Dutch ovens and more than happy with it. Should really have got the next size up, bit small for a joint of meat and the veg.

mullermoon

Apr 18, 2012
yorkshire
The ones i looked at on ebay are the ronnie sunshine ones. I will go for the 8ltr one for no other reason than i always think biggest is best. I camp out of the back of the car so weight is not an issue. None of the campsites we have been to allow open fires so i will have to go down the route of a "fire box" type instrument. What do you guys use for heat i.e charcoal?, briquettes?, etc etc?. Any help will be great,for i truly am a fool:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you want to use it in a conventional oven, I suggest getting one without legs - they are a right old pain in even a large oven. You might also consider an enamelled version if you want to bung it through the dishwasher

A few of things to consider after using my dutch oven.

If using above an open fire
when full it weighs a ton so you need quite a meaty tripod to hold it
if putting it on to a fire grate, its fine on an open fire but if using a firebox, it can be easy to get it too hot as you cant fiddle with the embers as easily

If using it in an open fire (rather than above)
(this is the best way ive found) you would be better with one with legs

If using in your oven at home then i would go with an enamel version, maybe not a dutch oven, just a casserole dish

If you go for a dutch oven (rather than an enamel), there is quite a lot of conditioning needed to get the oven ready to cook. I ended up boiling mine up with veg several times, meat bones a few times and then 'burning' it in a hot oven to seal it before oiling and being ready to use for food. Quite a faff

I love my dutch oven and from the car its great, for home use i have a different pot and its a hassle

Dave

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I am going to buy a Dutch oven to use mainly as a cassorole dish instead of a mega expensive Le creusett, and for camping trips. Firstly are the ones on eBay,at around £30,any good?. Secondly , when out camping, do they have to be on a open fire to cook or can they be used on a small gas burner?[/SUB]

Rather than just casseroles, there are a vast range of deserts available to be baked in the Dutch oven.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Its also a good idea to get one with a rim on the lid (as the Ronnie Sunshines ones do). Its often good to pile hot coals on the lid while cooking for more even heat and the rim helps keep them on a lot easier! As said though, don't limit yourself to casseroles! Cakes, bread, fruit crumbles, scones, boiling and roasting ham joints, soup, I've even seen a thread on here deep frying chicken and chips in one!

Good luck!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think the OP said he was going to use his DO as a casserole at home and a full oven when camping :)

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Sort of, sounds like he has not used one Camping before, so offering experience of using one for him. OP said 'Camping Stove under one', which I have not thought about but would certainly use a lot of gas........

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....If you go for a dutch oven (rather than an enamel), there is quite a lot of conditioning needed to get the oven ready to cook. I ended up boiling mine up with veg several times, meat bones a few times and then 'burning' it in a hot oven to seal it before oiling and being ready to use for food.....

That should mwork but I doubt your "sealing" it by burning it. I certainly hope not at any rate. A big part of the point of the oil is to soak deep into the pores.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I don't cook ON the fire with mine, things seem to burn when I try. I rake a few coals out of the fire and set the Dutch oven on top of them. (I have the kind with legs.) Then I put more coals on top than there are underneath, since heat rises. The coals may need to be replenished a couple times. And a friend advised me to never take the lid off until you can smell the food. That seems to work well.

mullermoon

Apr 18, 2012
yorkshire
Right then, i have ordered the ronnie sunshine dutch oven on recommendation of some of you guys. I have gone for the 8ltr version , i always think biggest is best, apart from a kick up the **** obviously!!. It say it comes pre seasoned so i have no eed to faff about with that job. Next question can i use it on the gas hob ok, sauting etc before putting it in the oven, whilst using it at home?, it is the one with three legs. Many thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE