Using a Dutch oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
I bought my Dutch Oven from Ronnie Sunshines and use it both in the home oven (great for apple crumble) and when outdoors.

Also on Halloween we set it up on a tripod in the garden as a cauldron - my children loved it.

Last edited:

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Have considered it but worried I'd knacker it. Will just have to keep me eyes peeled for a flat un lol

Orric

It would be fine to grind the feet off with a Grinder, It won't harm the D.O. at all, I've done a few for friends, Just give the areas a dab with a decent high temp cast iron stove paint afterwards.

Last edited:

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
I recently bought some cast-iron cookware that was supposed to be "pre-seasoned". It turned out to be coated with a dark brown tar-like substance that stank of rancid vegetable oil.

After several attempts to remove the coating, I managed to remove it with near-boiling water and washing soda, and then re-seasoned it by the old method of heating it to hand hot and rubbing lard into the surface.

Even after just one treatment, it developed a non-stick finish that could be wiped clean with a cloth if the pot was still warm.

I hope this is a useful tip.

Alan

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Mine was a touch too high to fit in my Weber barbecue so I hacksawed a few millimetres off the legs and evened them up with a file, it was not worth even getting the angle grinder out. It was a simple quick job.

So if you don't want the legs, have at them with no fears.

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
Just picked one up from a charity shop for £6. No legs, and it needs conditioning, but they are out there.
Think ive halved the weight by taking the greasy rusty dirt off.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I've kept the legs on mine, always use full for when you want to stack them when cooking, as you can layer them with coals....good for large group meals when you cant fit over one fire....

Heres an example from the Sussex Group Xmas meet, post #8

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100940&p=1219315#post1219315

I use it on the fire mainly, hanging from about from a cross bar and adjust the heat by lifting and lowering the DO,

mullermoon

Apr 18, 2012
yorkshire
I ordered the 8ltr Dutch oven on Friday night and received it this morning. I unboxed it on the kitchen side just as the wife walked in. "Why have you bought one that big?, you will never use it what a waste of money!". I went out and got the ingredients for a chicken and cider stew. Started off sautéing on the hob and then bunged the lot in the oven. Two hourslater we have a beautiful stew. Me, son and daughter have ours with the wife going to have hers later. "I will just clean out the duchy before it gets cold so I will put the remaining stew in a Pyrex dish" says I. I picked up the duchy by the handle,and using a oven glove, I held one of the legs to tip the stew out into the second dish. Pouring slowly the handle slips,the duchy drops, and the Pyrex dish takes the weight and shatters spilling the stew over the side and floor!!!!!!!!!. Wife walks in, says what an idiot,and walks back in the living room. Can't wait to use it next time. Lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE