Uses for marble off cuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
So does anyone know of a use for marble off cuts, some of which are about the size of a standard business envelope and 10mm thick.

Over to you

GS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Peevers for wee lassies to play beds with. :D

Translation for the non Scots.............peevers are the pucks little girls use when playing hopscotch (beds).
My bother found one of mine a couple of years ago when he was grubbing out the old hawthorn hedge .Our Grandpa had made for me over forty years ago.

How about a small herb chopping board ? or a cheese board ? or since it carves quite easily why not try making the flywheel stone for a pump drill :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
How many you got?

Depending on how busy the company has been there could be anything from 20 to 200 pieces of varying sizes.

Toddy : Interesting I have never tried to carve marble so I assumed it was only possible by skilled masons. I will look for more info on that.

Westnorfolk: Dont have pets because they are made of meat :D

Indoorsout : Excellent I am working a bit of leather at the moment :)

It is all polished on one side as I think they make kitchen bits.

Just curious has anyone tried sharpening stuff with it ?

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Yes, its different to most stones because its quite fine grained and fairly hard

Usable as a fine hone (the unpolished side), or for flatting your other stones

Smooth side, really good for skiving leather on or using as a mull (thing for mixing powder into a paste, such as pigment into oil paint)

Spindle worls and other things can be cut from it as well

I could always take some off your hands :naughty:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I guess it's too much to assume they are all a regular size? I don't know if a standard tile saw would cutter them cleanly?

If i had a few i would knock up some butchers block/trivets and flog on.

Not very bushy I know.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Depending on the colouration, maybe a plinthe for some kind of trophy? Or if they're uniform thickness, put a few together for a tiled coffee table.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
So does anyone know of a use for marble off cuts, some of which are about the size of a standard business envelope and 10mm thick.

Over to you

GS

Here's a Rainbow Obsidian knapped blade with a Picasso marble handle.The marble was offcuts from a bank building site, not made by me though a friend in the states I've now lost touch with.

obsidianpicassomarble.jpg

cheers Danny

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As well as all the other good suggestions you could make some nice name plates for the front door, I've done a couple out of slate with a dremel.
Goatboy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, :rolleyes: okay, sorry ought to have been clearer. I use a double bladed luna on the hollowed marble board for shredding herbs and greenery. It doesn't really *cut* on the marble, more that it rocks on it.

cheers,
Toddy

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Marble is a popular base for mounting morse keys. You need something heavy so it doesn't move.

You might well be able to sell them on ebay for this purpose, but the postage could wipe out any profit.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I found a nice irregular polished bit, used it as the base for my house numbers. (I used brass ones , not ones carved in.)

Ill take a pic if I ever go home.

BTW, be careful if you ever do anything with brass numerals...the screws supplied are often plated, with predictable rusty results after a few months. Make sure you have proper brass screws.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Some good ideas there.
I have found some more bits today,they are lengths of about inch by inch and some inch thick small slabs.
Nothing big enough for pastry,yet.
Someone on an other forum has mentioned an idea from Cyprus of heating them and cooking stuff directly on them. Has anyone come across this before and maybe have some more info.

I will post some pics later
GS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I forgot about that :) I've got a board of it that gets heated in the microwave and it keeps a dish hot for ages if it's set on it.

I've also got another one that's a kind of turntable thing for crudites and dips. Keeps everything really chilled.

Do Japanese housewives not use a hot stone plate/ sheet for cooking ? :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE