Uses for lime?

Due to being an opportunistic so and so I've got the chance to get hold of a substantial amount of wind felled lime tree.
Its a real beast (its in a church graveyard-dont ask)
Its not the time of year for using the bark for making cordage (I believe correct me if I'm wrong by all means)
What else can I use it for?
I know its meant to be great for carving but is it traditionally used for anything?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's good for fire by friction

It's also used in musical instruments. The lyre and the shield in the Sutton Hoo burial was made from it :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can get the bark off, then it can be soaked until the fibres come away and seperate into sheets :)
It'll stink like the worst anaerobic stuff imaginable, but it makes brilliant fibres :D

Lovely stuff to carve, makes great hearthboards too :D I have a couple of wooden plates made from it and some rather fancy inlaid woodturning.

Nice find :D

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It was the classic material to make a shield Sam...there are metal shield bosses available quite cheaply....would make a fun project to rip the planks and make a shield :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Carve it, turn it. It makes perfectly good wood for all sorts of applications, including furniture. Lime is a bit of an all-rounder: if you can make it from wood, lime is suitable.

Some good suggestions there thank you everyone.
I'll try and get a photo of it today as I'm going to have another look at it (when I'm not at a funeral and somewhat occupied)
From the look I did get at it in passing I should onky be limited by A imagination B how much I can fit in the old mans trailer and C how much I can chop up

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The inner bark can be used as a hot infusion to counteract diarrhoea apparently. Chopping blocks as it doesnt blunt knives. Makes good charcoal (which was also taken as a cure for flatulence.)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Makes for a great hearth as Steve mentioned. I struggle to find it as they all grow in residential areas around me.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
You can have it milled and store or sell it to all the desperate wood carvers out there. Did they used to make butter pats out of lime?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Uw, Lime. I'd have to make a shield if I could score some lime, its the sort of project I'd go all AR on, sourcing the right rawhide for the covering, getting a boss forged (the cheap ones are spun, the one the lad got looks perfectly good, i think it was £12). Then I'd hang it on a wall and squeal if anyone so much as touched it with greasy hands like a big Jessy.

ATB

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Lime is the very best material of all time for handles on any tool that may need to be used wet, traditionally the wet trades like plastering, stonemasonary etc., and the extension to this is handles and chopping/cutting boards for tools that'll be used prepping fish and game, and stainless steel knives used by fishermen, especially filleting knives. It has the strangest-feeling property of appearing to feel bone-dry even when soaking wet, so you'll never have a slippery grip on your tools and never any water damage to the handles.

My father always made a new Lime handle for any of the tools he would need to use in the rain, e.g. hedge-laying stuff; the only exception would be for striking tools, axes, hammers etc., which were always Ash.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE