Uses for beeswax?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
This afternoon I saw the pictures of funky wax-sealed leather bottles a la Bardster, then went out for a walk and bumped right into a stall selling fresh honey that they strip out of the wax by putting the boards in a hand-cranked centrifuge. They gave me a piece of the left over wax to suck the honey off of, and it tasted like flowers. Superb! And it's right at the end of my street! If they give me one piece, they'd give me more, so what can I do with it? There's not a thread just on beeswax, so why don't we get a few things together here?

I can think of sealing leatherwork a la Bardster, which is unfortunately not an option for me.

Making wood finishes. Is it tough enough for my upcoming knife handle?

Glue: pine resin+ beeswax+ charcoal= glue.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I always wax my bowstrings. Waterproofs and increases their lifespan.

My wife waxes her legs....But I think that is another matter ;)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
philaw said:
There's not a thread just on beeswax,

No Philaw,
Its the other way around, you put the wax on the thread, it waterproofs the thread and makes it easier to put through the eye of the needle.
I'd go easy on using it to polish a knife handle. too shiney and it will encourage blisters, too soft and the handle will feel sticky. When used as a wood polish, its blended with carnuba wax to offset the melting in warm temperature that it is prone to., though carnuba alone can scratch some soft woods.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
When I was young, I made a candle out of beeswax: it was simply a "sheet" of the wax, with lots of small cavities in it for the bees to pop in their eggs / honey etc. Simply lay a piece of cotton candle string (which what I used) on the wax and role it up - in such a manner the cord ends up in the core of the candle.
Can't remember how long it burned, but it worked - and it was great to see as a kid, that something you'd made actually worked :D

I hope I enlightened you ;)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
its not only good on thread its very good on cordage i have some nettle and lime cordages i made and rubbed with beas wax outside in my garden the unwaxed cordage has long gone but the waxed stuff is still going strong. I also use it on braided horse hair cordage it binds the hairs together.

cant think of any more than have been mentioned

James

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Let's see: As mentioned already, cordage, bowstrings, candles. I mix beeswax with turpentine and use it to wax floors and furniture. Rub it on, let it dry and buff it out. I use it to wax my bows to help waterproof them (all wood self bows). I too have waxed my handrolled cordage and find that it greatly extends its life and usefulness. I'm sure beeswax can be used in place of parrafin wax in many instances though it is stickier.....Bruce

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I'd forgotten about waxing thread, guys, that's a good one. I'll have a really good look for some pine resin yet again and hopefully turn some up. If I do, then I'll use it to glue something. If I can't think of anything useful, I'll just glue some people's doors closed, to teach them that primitive technology is back in action. :)

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I use it for a mouthpiece on my Didjeridoo . it helps to get an air tight seal . It is also a lot more comfortable than wood and can be adjusted to the contors of your mouth .
Pumbaa

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Creams and ointments.

Putting a small lump of beeswax into a double-boiler with some vegetable oil and some herbs, simmering it for 10-15 minutes and then straining it and letting it set - the thickness will depend on the quantities used, but it makes a good ointment for stiff joints (with chilli, ginger etc) a good lip balm (plain or with mint/elderflower) and a good all round lubricant for bow drills, fire pistons etc.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If you're doing any carpentry, beeswax is a great lubricant for nails and screws - makes them much easier to drive.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Melt 10% beeswax with 90% paraffin wax to make a block. You can rub this onto cotton and polycotton jackets and trousers to make them shower proof. After you've rubbed it in pop your garment into the tumble dryer so the wax impregnates the fibres.

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
Linseed oil a knife handle as usual (soak, drain, rest).

If you use this as a polish, you'll get a (short-lived) silky sheen.

But if you only polished it, your knife will ONLY take on a slightly sticky feel.

Like: You grab your knife, and your knife grabs you back!

Odderweiss: Candles, stringwax, polishes, creams and ointments fer yer missus.

Mix it up with fluffy fibers, and stuff in your ears to keep out nightly disturbances!

Otherwise mail me and...

I'LL WAX YOU!! :D

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
When I was a nipper my father used to do repairs on golf clubs, he used to put whipping on the club and waxed the thread as he did it.

Burt

Jan 16, 2005
South Lincolnshire
You can also use bees wax to impregnate leather; not so much boots as it will make them extremely hard. You would be able to waterproof leather pouches, knife sheaths etc.

Stuff the pouch with loads of wet paper; this holds the shape and stops the leather shrinking too much.

The method to use would be to melt the wax in a pot.

Warm the leather, either over fire or with a blow torch (careful near stitching or it will burn it). Warming the leather will open the pores allowing the wax to soak in easier.

paint the wax onto the leather sparingly; you will see it soak in, re-apply and do the same again. The more wax you use the harder it gets. When the leather cools warm it again and so on until you think you have given the leather a good soak.

Once dry the leather will take a high sheen when polished. It will have a slightly tacky feel, less so if the wax is soaked in thoroughly. There shouldn't be any visible wax on the surface.

This idea was originally used by me to harden army drill boots; it reduces creasing and holds the polish better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE