Useful Features On Multi Functional Knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Well thats all very subjective isn't it? One mans gadget is another man's useful inclusion. I can't say I'd find a Socket for Fire drill that useful but I guess I'm imagining a firesteel being included somehow.
Obviously certain features on knives are a subjective step to far where they actually weaken the knife or become unusable in reality , however the inclusion of 'pragmatic useful' ( again I know subjective ) of additions to dead metal space I see as potentially useful - example would be Duncans ( Dorset Woodland Blades ) inclusion of a Hex bit holder as one of the more usefull additions.

A less useful addition that has just come to mind would be to me the screw driver heads on the handguard of the First Blood Knife. To me there is just more chance of me wrecking my knuckle upon it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...UICCgC&biw=1482&bih=803#imgrc=gUjRIMZdayv8HM:

Funny thing is I made a few bushtools with the centre hole as a hex holder, I used the first blood knife with the screwdriver cross guard and yes it dug right into my hand , pretty awful idea.
In my opinion an awl similar to the ones on Swiss army knives would be a good inclusion some where on the sheath but I can't imagine it on the actual knife.
The bowdrill divot is good on the Tops BOB and similar mid size utility knives but on a razor sharp scandi bushy it could prove dangerous unless the knife is sheathed and most of them are deep leather so not practical.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
For those of you who mention pry bars, what do you pry with your pry bars?

To me, in terms of a knife that is a jack of all trades do it all type would have to be EDC legal in much of Europe. Meaning it has to require 2 hands to open (Cheers Denmark), and be under 75mm long and fold, and not lock. The other feature that to me is really important is being able to strike a ferro rod with it. I've taken the diamond side of my DC3 to a couple of my knives to give them the back necessary to strike a ferro rod. This is one of the areas that my Leatherman CS4 fails at.

Beyond that in the "might be nice" category, a small compass in the handle might be nice, sure you might not be navigating too finely with it, but being able to get a rough idea of north is very useful (I find this especially is the case in London when exiting tube stations...). Finally a folding saw. I always like the idea of a Svord Peasant and a folding saw combined into one unit would be great. I've done quite a lot in the woods with my CS4, and the only area it falls short on is it's no good at battoning. The design of the peasant does allow for limited battoning.

Oh and a thin blade. Something in the ~2mm area is nice. Trying to slice vegetables with a 4mm thick blade is suboptimal...

J

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
i really dont see the point of those? i mean if you cant find the wood to make one whats to burn? why risk ruining a handle?

I see it as great way to get some claret in the woods

for me the best multi use feature for a fixed blade would be a sheath that can hold a SAK a steek and a sharpening stone...

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Quixoticgeek, with regard to the little compass for use in towns/city's etc. Have a look at the satellite dishes on the side of the buildings. It will vary depending on where you are but they are often a good guide.

DB

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
For those of you who mention pry bars, what do you pry with your pry bars?

To me, in terms of a knife that is a jack of all trades do it all type would have to be EDC legal in much of Europe. Meaning it has to require 2 hands to open (Cheers Denmark), and be under 75mm long and fold, and not lock. The other feature that to me is really important is being able to strike a ferro rod with it. I've taken the diamond side of my DC3 to a couple of my knives to give them the back necessary to strike a ferro rod. This is one of the areas that my Leatherman CS4 fails at.

Beyond that in the "might be nice" category, a small compass in the handle might be nice, sure you might not be navigating too finely with it, but being able to get a rough idea of north is very useful (I find this especially is the case in London when exiting tube stations...). Finally a folding saw. I always like the idea of a Svord Peasant and a folding saw combined into one unit would be great. I've done quite a lot in the woods with my CS4, and the only area it falls short on is it's no good at battoning. The design of the peasant does allow for limited battoning.

Oh and a thin blade. Something in the ~2mm area is nice. Trying to slice vegetables with a 4mm thick blade is suboptimal...

J

My suggestion was more what CAN you add to a fixed blade without compromising it
how i use an EDC is probably a little different to most. I live and work on a farm so carrying a fixed blade is a non issue for me.
the little old folder with a prybar I mentioned gets used for such as opening paint tins, odd things like gate gate catches in need of a quick fettle, and also used like a thimble for bending wire and such
So for me a little prybar with perhaps a hex hole in it that i could use for bending wire or other strange little jobs would come in quite handy

As someone else mentioned, the sheath has more scope for adding little extras

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK "Useful Features"... on a fixed blade knife
Blade etched with ruler and Square
Saw back
Bottle opener Choil
Hex Holes in the Quillon
Quillon ending in X head and slot screwdrivers
Handle wrapped in cord
Butcap with compass in it
Hollow handle for bits and bobs like a sign saying "Don't push me!"....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE