Use of an old Saddle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
***??? You chopped up a UNIVERSAL PATTERN SADDLE???????

I'd have given any 2 or 3 shagged-out modern saddles ya could have used as scrap for such projects!

Just seen Choppers post - "RARE" IS PUTTING IT VERY MILDLY

I collect Army Saddlery kit....have done for years....full-time leatherworker......the clue is = I don't have one of these!!!

They're not the sort of kit to be chopped up

Wanna sell the tree? Any of the fittings or anything remaining? I have the WW1 plans & can probably re-build from there (just as a display item)

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.

I'd have given any 2 or 3 shagged-out modern saddles ya could have used as scrap for such projects!

I collect Army Saddlery kit....have done for years....full-time leatherworker......the clue is = I don't have one of these!!!

Wanna sell the tree? Any of the fittings or anything remaining? I have the WW1 plans & can probably re-build from there (just as a display item)

Whoops !!!!! Told ya so !! :cussing:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

Sorry to say the tree was thrown away - remember I rescued this from a bin in the first place. :)

As for rare, not where I got it from - two a penny, and no, I can't get any more:lmao:

Last edited:

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
Sorry to say the tree was thrown away - remember I rescued this from a bin in the first place. :)

As for rare, not where I got it from - two a penny, and no, I can't get any more:lmao:

You cannot get them where you got it from....and you still say they're NOT rare!!??

I thought one of the points of Bushcraft was to make maximum use of resources, but not in a detrimental way

Chopping up a historically important WW1 saddle to make a couple of projects is a bit like me nipping down to the Grace Darling museum, and chopping up the row-boat she used so I can make a raft

I'd hazard a guess that the person to bin it in the 1st place had not spent a penny on it - so it had no monetary or other value to them = as in - it was "issued". therefore only the tax payer had any vested interest in it??

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
You cannot get them where you got it from....and you still say they're NOT rare!!??

I thought one of the points of Bushcraft was to make maximum use of resources, but not in a detrimental way

Chopping up a historically important WW1 saddle to make a couple of projects is a bit like me nipping down to the Grace Darling museum, and chopping up the row-boat she used so I can make a raft

I'd hazard a guess that the person to bin it in the 1st place had not spent a penny on it - so it had no monetary or other value to them = as in - it was "issued". therefore only the tax payer had any vested interest in it??

I can fully understand your point of view on this matter, but as stated before I found it in a skip therefore I did make use of the resource, by recycling. The whys and wherefores of it being discarded are in no way to be attributed to the thread poster, nor on me.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Still using the old saddle,
A woodlore style sheaf for my Bernie Garland Knife ,

17122009929.jpg

17122009927.jpg

Twodogs

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I wish to complain about this Fairbanks & Lavender purchased not an hour ago from this very Bushcraft boutique.

Oh yes, the, uh, the Fairbanks & Lavender ...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. It's in pieces , that's what's wrong with it!

No, no, it 's uh,...it's relaxing.

Look, matey, I know a knackered UNIVERSAL PATTERN SADDLE when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

No no it's not knackered, it's, it's restin'! Remarkable saddle , the Fairbanks & Lavender. Beautiful patina!

The patina don't enter into it. It's a good as stone dead.

Nononono, no, no! It's resting!

All right then, if it's restin', I'll revive it!

'Ello, Mister Pretty Saddle I've got a lovely fresh pot of Neatsfoot oil for you if you show movement.

There, it moved!

No, it didn't, that was you hitting it!

I never!!

Yes, you did!

I never, never did anything...

Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!

(Saddler thumps saddle on desk. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

Now that's what I call a knackered saddle.

No, no.....No, it's stunned!

STUNNED?!?

Yeah! You stunned it, just as it was showing signs of pulling it's self together! Fairbanks & Lavender's stun easily, Sir.

Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That saddle is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' shagged out following a prolonged threat from a recycling knife.

Well, it's...it's, ah...probably pining for the Front Line.

PININ' for the FRONT LINE?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did it fall apart the moment I gave it a rub?

The Fairbanks & Lavender prefers a gentler approach! Remarkable saddle squire? Lovely patina!

Look, as soon as I arrived home I took the liberty of examining that saddle, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting up straight in the first place was that it had been SUPERGLUED together.

No no! It's pining!

It's not pinin'! It's passed on! This saddle is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet it's maker!

It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't glued it together it be pushing up the poppies!
Its metabolic processes are now 'istory! It's off the cast!
It's kicked the stitching horse , it's shuffled off it's mortal coil, partaken of too much Twodogs and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

THIS IS AN EX- UNIVERSAL PATTERN SADDLE!!

Well, I'd better replace it, then.

Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back, and uh, we're right out of Fairbanks & Lavenders. VERY RARE they are!

I see. I see, I get the picture.

I got an axe or bushcrafter sheaf.

Pray, do they have WW 1 markings?

Nnnnot really.

WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?

Sorry, it almost works!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE