US type water bottle

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
cups a copy and not even true to form which probably means the bottle is the wrong size as well.

the genuine ones or decent copies have longer better handles which either wrap around the back of the cup or fold underneath for the ww2 pattern ones

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
That's an interesting website, I see they sell "Combat Student shoulder bags" blimey!! and "urban Metro Cammo flipflops." Just what I've always wanted. So, I could go to cover from view, upside down in a dustbin and it won't matter if my feet stick out 'cos they won't see them with those flipflops on,... will they? :D :D

Only kiddin' Dave569, hope you got a deal mate. :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Even the genuine one's are'nt as good as the 58patt bott and crusader combo, well least not as far as im concerned,the cover on the US one aint as tough(the bottom drain hole has a small steel ring on the U.S one and it fell out on mine pretty much straight away and the nylon used is'nt as hard wearing as the webbing used to make the 58 patt holder) , the bottle itself is okay but again id say not as tough, the mugs arent to much differant but for volume,materials and design id still give the crusader the edge,(i have both versions) to make a comparison.I do give the a.l.i.c.e clips the edge over the attachments on the 58 patt bottle holder for attaching,as you can pretty much put them on most belts /straps etc.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have had one for years and it's been very well used. I stopped using it for a while when I got the crusader - which is quite a bit heavier and the stove thing is rubbish, and you still have to tape it to stop it burning your lips.
The mug almost feels like titanium, you don't get burnt lips and the cooking stand is great when used with a coke can stove.
I would thoroughly recomend them to anyone.
Also I picked up a drinking tube for mine which turns it into a hydration system.
The only down side I have found is the neck is quite narrow.
Neil

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I think the cup may be Dutch, similar to the American but with different handles. I've got a couple knocking around at home. The Bottles are ok. I've used mine for about 6 years now without a problem, but switched to pattern 58's earlier this year, but haven't got round to getting the crusader mug yet. The p58' bottle feels more robust and I do like the wider kneck, but both styles work fine. Enjoy them and put them to good use.

Dave

Dec 3, 2008
France
IME, the NATO/US pattern bottle has a capacity of around 900cc as opposed to the genuine '58 Pattern which is nearer 1.2 litres (the Asian knock-offs are smaller). This makes more sense for dosing with Puritabs and allows space for freezing without splitting the bottle. The wider neck on the Brit one is a blessing when filling from a filter bag or a jerrican.

I find the Crusader cup cools quicker than the Canteen Cup and makes a more useful cooking implement.

My Dutch / German? surplus canteen cover is in green, fleece-lined plastic, without ALICE clips or the pocket for puritabs. The national designator is 17, hence 8465-17-052-9696 for the NSN. The US designator would be 1.

rg598

Native
I like the US 1Qt canteen a bit more, because I find that the canteen and canteen cup fit alot better in the holder, and it's much easier to pull out the canteen and drink whn it is on your belt. The catual reason why I decided to go with the US 1Qt rather than the 58 however, was because I'm not coordinated enough to drink from the wide neck without getting water on me. :)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
aye and you can get the windshield with the cup sometimes so you can run a small burner under it or just plain hexi blocks. you can buy the whole set for about £20, pouch, bottle, cup and shield and it all fits neatly into the pouch too.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I like the uk and us bottles and mugs equally... if you get the proper issue ones they are well made and will last forever. I learned the hard way to avoid the knock-offs though as they are a huge waste of money given they need replacing every 5 minutes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE