Us poncho liner / hammock underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Hi all,
Sorry if this has been asked a zillion times....
Has anyone used one of the u.s issue poncho liners as an underquilt?
Have been looking at them on eBay and wondered if anyone had used them ??

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yes I had a go at making one and I got to say its pretty good. Been using it since feb, you need a mat with it in winter but I've been using it with just a summer sleeping bag over the last couple of months.

Some details here.

In fact I used it this weekend and was toasty warm even in the torrential rain :).

153_zpse9f868b9.jpg

Swjoergensen

Mar 17, 2013
Denmark
I've been using one for a while also. Just folded in half and added some shockcord to channels at the ends and a long piece of shockcord along the edges so I can slide it and adjust it under the hammock.

Very easy and cheap UQ, has kept me plenty warm so far, with a 2-season sleepingbag in early spring and just a 1-season summerbag the last few months.

Would agree that a pad is needed for colder weather.

I didn't sew mine up, to keep it more adaptable, but sewing will add some warmth as it can be closed off more efficiently, and still be made with an opening for a pad.

It's been a great piece of kit. Packs down reasonably small as well. Folded and rolled I can fit it in a 12"x6" compressionsack and compress a bit more, an inch or two lengthwise.

Recommend for a cheap way to get started on that UQ-thing.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've generally been of the opinion (and remember it is just an opinion) that if you need an underquilt, or insulating cover of any kind for that matter, you're in the wrong climate for a hammock.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I see your point Santaman but well hammocks are too comfy not to use, even if that means a little insulation :)!

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I do the same with the czech sleep system, keeps me toasty warm even without my thermarest (the whole reason i had to resort to the sleep system UQ, differently over for carmmocking though as the extra 2kg is a killer if you're trekking it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE