Urtication

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madadam

May 1, 2013
Bristol Uk
No its not a nasty disease, but the Roman Legionnaires swore by it.
If any of you joined Frazer Christians` woodland foraging walk at 2013 Bushmoot, then you will remember the uses of Stinging Nettles (Urtica Doica) - One of which is stinging yourself (Urtication) to initiate extra blood supply to painful areas along with leaving other chemicals in your system from the nettles.
I have been developing Arthritis and painful joints recently and have been stinging the affected areas once a day for the last 2 months.
For those of you not brave enough to try it, then (at least for me, ) it seems to work.
Nettles are getting a bit old now and the young tips have been noted as being the best to use, but if you can find some waste-ground that they live on, then the new tips can be used before they get too long.
The sensation has become quite agreeable. ( I know I`m a masochist) At first its a bit of a shock, then as the day goes on, a light warm tingling can be felt, but the ache of joint pain reduces - it certainly hasn't hurt me in the long-term and I have several times topped the results up by making a tea of the fresh leaves, with a little honey to taste as this helps with joint care from inside the body and can help with Gout, which can also manifest itself through joint pain.

Not sure if this is in the right forum section.
I hope this may be of some help to someone else.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The little story that I told myself to remember the Latin name of nettles is that "When they sting it hurts twice" - Urtica dioica one of the many remember aids from having to memorise 50 plants a week.

Hope it keeps helping or it's bee stings next.:eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice mnemonic Goatboy :)

When the ache gets deep, hot, swollen and impossible to shift, I find the nettles.
I think it gives my body's immune system something to fight that's not the sinovial bits of my joints.....maybe :dunno: I do know it seems to kickstart an easing of the achey swolleness in my hands and wrists though.
I'm (thankfully, you have no idea how thankful I am) one of the lucky ones that still heal after the inflammation settles. The nettles are part of the keeping it under control.

Even in Winter you can find nettle roots with little green shoots ready to burst up into full height. Those wee shoots carry a potent 'ouch' that really works.

I hope the arthritis settles and doesn't leave your joints permanently damaged.

Kind regards,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Maybe, maybe ....but the rapid reduction in the inflammation is really noticeable....for instance I can actually get my wedding ring on again after I've nettled my hands.
The only thing else that shifts it like that for me is 600mg ibuprofen tablets three times a day, and that's really not good for anyone long term

I would like to see some decent research done on it, I really would. I'm no fan of 'woolly science', even when I personally find something works for me.

atb,
Mary

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
'600mg ibuprofen tablets three times a day' What are you taking to protect your stomach Mary?

My wife is the senior nurse for patient therapy for a local NHS trust and she has mentioned pain distraction being used as part of a behavioural cognitive therapy approach to pain relief.

I use indomethacin when my knees really play up and it works very well for me but IIRC you had problems with the drug? When I'm taking it I also take omeprazole to help my stomach, something you should look at if your taking that much ibuprofen

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I only take it when I eat, and I only take it when I really need it.
On the whole I'm very well, tbh the malaise (the cannae be bothered-itis) is the worst of the disease.
Apparantly I'm an anomally :dunno: I think I'm incredibly fortunate that it doesn't flare very often, but I'm really careful not to damage joints.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE