Urgent - Knife sharpening help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
Hi,

I'm leaving early tommorrow morning for a easter bushy adventure but I just can't seem to get my knife sharp.

Its a rwl/34 woodlore clone
I've been trying to get an edge using a 250, 1000 and 6000 grit waterstones
but there seems to be a light spot running all the way down the blade on both sides like i've been putting blade on the wrong angle on the stone and its created an edge within the scandi grind - see pic

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73/Mosnan/?action=view&current=blade029.jpg

I've been very careful to make sure its flat against the stone and watched rays vids on you tube but i just can't get a decent edge

I know it late but if anyone could help in the next hour or so it would be greatly recieved!

Regards

Nicolas

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Hello mate

Sorry to hear ur having problems.
Try going back to using the medium grade stone and then the fine - i'd leave the coarse stone or u wil undo any good you've done.

how are you moving the blade on the stone? when u try sharpening are u seeing residue coming off the stone? as i am sure u know u are literally meant to be shaving the stone so should see a small amount if residue coming iff the stone - if u are following the tutorials all i can sagest is to stop and start over again. Are u stropping the blade?

Hope u get there in the end fella

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
Hey,

I've just re tried but putting a bit more pressure on the knife and the stropping at a steeper angle.
Its cutting paper no problem but still no hairs from arm!
I'll get there in the end

Thanks for your help

Nicolas

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try colouring the bevel in with a marker pen and then seeing how it's taken off with your strokes.

Maybe try with an old knife until it clicks then go back to your bushy.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I can only get my knives to shave the hair off my arm if I go against the grain of the hair. Maybe this is your problem?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE