URGENT bushmoot deathcap

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I need pictures of the amanita that was at the summer bushmoot.

You know I said at the that deathcaps don't grow on poor sandy soils well the amanita dunensis does not grow in britian.

A mycologist at bridgend needs to see some pictures, and I could do with GPS of at least the fire circle or preferably the spot.

It is highly likely that they have expired at the location so no definite ID will be made this year. But the sooner I get information to him the better.

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Xylaria,

don't know if this is culprit.......

CIMG1662.jpg

Pic is from Biddlesby's post in the out and about forum...

"some photo's from the moot"

(hope it was ok to borrow your pic Biddlesby, i should have asked first :eek: )

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
CIMG0026.jpg

The Mushroom Lady after a heavy night drinking!

Edit: Can anybody ID the legs behind? I'm pretty sure I know who it is and I wasn't even at the bushmoot! Begins with a G!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Actually you can chew slices of that one as a kind of anti hunger aid......and I get a green dye from it :D

cheers,
Toddy

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Actually you can chew slices of that one as a kind of anti hunger aid......and I get a green dye from it :D

cheers,
Toddy

I thought it was a laxative:D
But Austrian microbiologists have identified the lumps as the fruit of the
birch fungus, Piptoporus betulinus, which is common in alpine and other
cold environments. If the fungus is ingested, it can bring on short bouts of
diarrhea. It also contains oils that are toxic to certain parasitic bacteria,
thus acting as a form of nature's own antibiotics.

From, http://www.newnation.org/NCR/reference/NCR-iceman.html

xylaria

Birch polypore tastes like cotton wool soaked in TCP to me with a persitant bitter taste. I have given to others and there appears to be some people that can't taste anything at all. No bitter or chemical taste. I found it can cures a sore throat and clears a blocked nose. As Toddy said toxic effects are alot to do with dosage. I have no idea how much you have injest to get the runs, but I know I can't eat it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Birch polypore tastes like cotton wool soaked in TCP to me with a persitant bitter taste. I have given to others and there appears to be some people that can't taste anything at all. No bitter or chemical taste. I found it can cures a sore throat and clears a blocked nose. As Toddy said toxic effects are alot to do with dosage. I have no idea how much you have injest to get the runs, but I know I can't eat it.

I don't have much of a problem with bitter and neither does one of my sons, but the other looks in appalled horror at some of the things Jamie and I find palatable. I have a really good sense of smell and I find that this fungus is one that smells differently depending on where it's been collected. The local ones smell of mushroom, those gathered in Perthshire are defintely TCP smelling.
I've chewed on it a few times, and it does seem to kill off an incipient sore throat :cool: ....that was one inner slice about 5mm thick, maybe 7 or 8 cm long and 3cm deep, if that's of any help.....definitely not one to be eating much of, I know I struggled to swallow it.
I did try a very young one, smaller than a golfball, better texture but again no urge to swallow.....you know that feeling that this is okay as food? Well, this one doesn't give any of that.

cheers,
Toddy....whio wishes she lived nearer some folks to go walkabout :)

xylaria

The weird golfball looks like a sparassis crispa or cauliflower fungus that had had the stem eaten of early in its growth and then rolled around and dried. Cauliflower fungi are normally the same proportions as a giant puffball and grow in the same place year after year. They are very edible but not in the state that one was in. Next year we may all get a meal out of it.

Either that or it some mega rare fungi that is not is in any books, and nobody has found because it is on private land, but i am pretty sure that it is cauliflower fungi.

Toddy I know what you mean about the back of the throat telling you not eat something. Your body can tell alot if you listen very carefully to it. But I don't normally tell others to taste test fungi. The most toxic fungi also have a green aura. i used think it was down to me been weird like, but I have recently found out that the toxic chemical does glow slightly. But then going around saying I read the auras on fungi and I let my throat protect me from poisoning is recipe for a darwin award.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE