Urban travel bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Interesting thread, this. When I had a job that involved travelling around England and staying in cheap hotels, I was surprised how much of the basic stuff I used when camping was just as useful in hotels. I just added a mini immersion heater instead of my stove as kettles are not always supplied.
With my mini cookpot and sierra cup and a small supply of noodles/couscous/dried sausage and instant coffee I could rustle up a cheap and quick meal in places or at times when meals were not readily available nearby. Being self-employed, I was reluctant to spend good money on Little Chef type high-priced junk food.
Besides, I like to be self reliant as much as possible.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Interesting thread, this. When I had a job that involved travelling around England and staying in cheap hotels, I was surprised how much of the basic stuff I used when camping was just as useful in hotels. I just added a mini immersion heater instead of my stove as kettles are not always supplied.
With my mini cookpot and sierra cup and a small supply of noodles/couscous/dried sausage and instant coffee I could rustle up a cheap and quick meal in places or at times when meals were not readily available nearby. Being self-employed, I was reluctant to spend good money on Little Chef type high-priced junk food.
Besides, I like to be self reliant as much as possible.

Good post.
Happy trails...torc.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I spend literally half my life in hotels. Some of this stuff has already been mentioned, but:

Titanium spork - I'm so tired of wasting time and money in restaurants that I usually hit a grocery store and eat in my room.
A paracord belt - never had to use it for anything, but it looks stylish and makes me feel better to know I have it.
Shooter's earplugs
iPad with lots of books downloaded, and an extra external battery
Canvas pants that are rugged but look nice enough for casual wear
Merino wool socks and underwear - they don't get smelly (at least not as quickly), they're comfortable over a very wide temperature range, and they don't melt if your plane crashes.
Sharpening stone (specifically a coarse diamond stone) so I could fabricate a knife if necessary
"Unbreakable Umbrella" - aside from the obvious use, it makes a good walking stick and an effective self-defense weapon that's legal anywhere.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
Generally I have a kit in the car for breakdowns / unexpected stays anywhere, stuff from it that applies to hotels is;

• Extension lead (hate the fact that there are generally no power points near the bed and I need once for CPAP)
  • Alcohol hand gel
  • Mains phone charger
  • Battery backup for phone
  • Coffee in a plastic tub
  • Thermal mug with a lid
  • Folding spoon
  • Soap
  • Bottle of water
  • Couple of plastic bags for any rubbish
  • Bar of dark chocolate
  • Hip flask with a smoky malt inside
  • A non-fiction book of some kind
  • iPad

Combined with my penknife and torch on my key ring, that's pretty much it.

I did have a go at re-heating a pouch meal (Look What I've Found) in the kettle one night just for the hell of it (still in pouch obviously). It worked but it took a while.

I love the flip-flop idea!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE