Urban Fatigue.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I've been off these boards for a while becaise of health problems including having a run in with half a dozen 'hoodies' at work that meant a visit to the hospital. I'm recovering OK but the person I'm seeing for counselling has suggested that I'm suffereing from 'urban fatigue' ie I've been in the city for too long and it's not good for me.

My doctor recceomends I get a fair bit of excersize and eat as well as I can, so that means I'm under doctors orders to get out and do some bushcraft whenever I can. Wish they'd give me a prescription for doing a couple of courses on the NHS.

Do any others notice the health benefits of bushcraft, especially as a form of stress relief?

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
definiatly a couple of hours wandering around does me the world of good and if i can get out for more than a one nighter i feel recharged and ready to go i almost forget the world of pc's and stess exist

hope you get better soon and enjoy getting out. Has the doc signed you off so you can go and play out?

James

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I can only agree about the benefits of being out in nature. I find it an amazing boost to the spirit to get out and just walk/sit in the woods. I'm fortunate in that I live in a lovely rural area with lots of nice woods. I even found it relaxing chopping kindling in the garden over the weekend (with my new SFA :D ).

However the real kicker is that I'm usually so tired and depressed from work, I'm too tired to get out and replenish my energy outdoors :rolleyes:

Hope you feel better soon.

Hellz

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Urban fatigue? I get it all the time! This weekend we only had a little time to escape from London, but it was great to do it nonetheless. The weather was amazing, with plenty of frost and mist to make things look gorgeous. Then there was the added "benefit" that we were heading north west from London, which meant we could see the rather interesting black cloud overhead...

Only a few minutes outside in the fresh air, surrounded by trees, really cleansed the soul. Of course, I'm now back in the City for the rest of the week... But hopefully I'll be able to escape again at the weekend.

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
I can certainly sympahise with you on this one. Last year i was living with my dad in london whilst working as garden landscaper but after a couple of months i couldn't hack living virtually on the M40 :eek: and pitshanger lane, that i decided to comute every day :( . got bored of that as well in the end so jack the job in and went self employed. Haven't looked back since.

Can't beat living in an area surrounded by forests and open farmland.:p

Mark

nooky

Nomad
Oct 26, 2005
Watton, Norfolk
I do find that I feel alot better when I do manage to get out and do a bit of bushcrafting. If I cant get out then I make do with the back garden and shoot a few arrows in the back garden and that seems to relief stress quite well.
I hope you get better soon and hope to be able to meet you and the others at an east anglian meet soon. :)
Andrew.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
yeh, when i'm feeling sh***y and wound up, i go for a mooch - even an hour cheers me up abit. and after a few nights out i'm a much nicer person to be around. gotta be done dude!

hows the canoe going btw

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Sorry to here about your hassles. Getting out into nature is so refreshing but even sitting in the back garden and carving a spoon is good.
At least it's easy to escape from Norwich quickly ;).

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
this might not be very helpful but i find when i get overally annoyed with teenagers a good helping of 'brat camp' makes me laugh. :lmao: :D :lmao:

easy recipe for relaxasion
1. take a long weekend hop on a plane or train to scotland.
2. find one large hill or mountianous out crop
3. climb large hill or mountianous out crop. (gets the heart going nicely) :D
4. make nice hot brew with your favoruite bicuits, while cooling off from the climb.
5. watch the beautifully sencery and wildlife with the wind in your hair.
6. find local pub and buy yourself a pint. ;)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
That sounds like a cracking recipe to me Scotland can be substituted fro Wales, the lakes or the West Country affect similar but no chance of seeing the illusive haggis :lmao:

James

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Too Right ! Its been manic with me for the past couple of months, just hasn't stopped.
I've booked between Christmas and new year off, and once the tearing around visiting family bit is over. I'm off in my canoe for a couple of days of listening to the song of the paddle, and starring into the firelight :D I honestly can't wait ! and then to explore the wildwood of undercliff lyme regis.
Full recharge needed ;)

Cheers
Rich

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Spacemonkey said:
Just bought an OS map of the area I want to move to near Burford. Phwooar-it's a bit sacuy down there! Can't wait...!
What do you mean? :neo2:
I work about a mile outside Burford!!!!!!!

:lmao:

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Thanks for all your messages of encouragement and support,

at the moment the doc has given me a sick note but I've had to spend so much time chasing around dealing with burocracy that so far I've only managed one day out of the city, sea fishing (didn't catch anything). Hopefully he'll give me another sicknote so I can concentrate4 on getting myself well again.

pignuts

Jun 15, 2005
it can be hard living in the city when your hearts in the geat outdoors.. i feel it in every part of my being. we dont even have a garden. we'll spend an evening whitling in the front room, once the baby's gone to sleep...., theres always a way!!
life in hackney can be tough, but we've only got a year and a half before we plan to move out, and live closer to the land, hopefuly moving into some sort of land based intentional community.....anyone interested?
it would be interesting to know how many bushcraft folk there are living in the london area, maybe we could organize some weekend camps to help stay sane, i know a site in epping forrest that allows fires!!!?? :eek:

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
My house is in the woods, but it's not the same as a weekend in the forest. I've been planning to go ice fishing since the lakes froze, but have come down with a bad case of pnemonia (never had it before). I'd been feeling better for a week, and now I seem to be getting it back again. Trip to the doctor on Friday. Getting into the wilds seems further off than ever.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE