beginner with issues!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
I'll admit it from the start, I know nothing about bush craft, wood lore etc

I'm not desperate for a world of adventure and risk, I'm hoping I can spend some time out in the woods, around a fire, getting to learn about the environment and getting to learn how to feel comfortable within that environment.

Thing is I'm not in the best of health, pain, fatigue and cognitive problems are the main problems. Does this make it out of reach for me? Anyone else have similar problems? I can't go for huge hikes - walking the dogs is sometimes too much! Is there such a thing as gentle bushcraft?!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
bushcraft can be what you make it, dont feel you have to do epic brazillian explores or anything lol, even primitive skills in your back garden can be masses of fun and quite satisfying.

i reckon you should just do whatever is within your means and capabilities and enjoy yourself. the is no lower or upper limit in my opinion. house bound people can learn leather craft, woodwork etc, if your able to get out a bit then you can practise firelighting, tracking, shelter building etc but you can do quite a bt in your garden!

give it a go, dont over do it and i think you will be amazed what you can do!

and dont let anyone tell you what you should do to be a 'bushcrafter' do what you like and call yourself what you want.

oh and it isnt all about mega £££ kit either lol

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Is there such a thing as gentle bushcraft?!

Simple answer is yes there is.

Practicing what you read about in your own time in your garden... things like firecraft, wood carving, knot work can all be done at your own pace. Fire by friction might be a bit much on your own but there's nothing stopping you from having help to do that. Simple walks in the woods when you're able to to practice plant identification all adds to bushcraft experience.

The important thing is to do it at YOUR pace and abilities. :)

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
bushcraft can be what you make it, dont feel you have to do epic brazillian explores or anything lol, even primitive skills in your back garden can be masses of fun and quite satisfying.

i reckon you should just do whatever is within your means and capabilities and enjoy yourself. the is no lower or upper limit in my opinion. house bound people can learn leather craft, woodwork etc, if your able to get out a bit then you can practise firelighting, tracking, shelter building etc but you can do quite a bt in your garden!

give it a go, dont over do it and i think you will be amazed what you can do!

and dont let anyone tell you what you should do to be a 'bushcrafter' do what you like and call yourself what you want.

oh and it isnt all about mega £££ kit either lol

Couldn't have said it better myself MrEd, spot on mate.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ye Gods - gentle Bushcraft!
I bloomin' well hope it does exist - I am too knackered and broken for the rough stuff these days! :D
I sit writing this with my back wracked with pain after twisting awkwardly in my armchair last night.......
but so far today I have been out collecting kindling (my wife harvested the firewood per se) made a refreshing brew, sharpened a few knives, whittled (and wittered) a little, tried out some new boot waterproofing stuff and planned a bit of next weekends efforts.

I am glad I was out canoeing yesterday though - cooked my luch on my Hobo, inroduced a new paddler to some techniques of the game, chatted with friends and enjoyed a perfect lazy paddling day.
Bushcraft is what you make of it - a wide church with room for all ability levels!
Enjoy!

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Well said John.. Some good summing up here I think.

I think do as much as you feel comfortable doing and above all enjoy it. Dont feel as though you have to do a certain thing due to seeing it on here or on the TV we all start somewhere and the first small steps are some of the most memorable and enjoyable ones.

Have fun what ever you do.

Andy

Wattle

Forager
Nov 6, 2008
Scunthorpe
www.ncgl.org
Just try to enjoy yourself when you are well enough to go out and about. I suffer from bad depression and anxiety, so I go through months at a time when I am actually scared to be out of doors, then if I am in the woods I just see myself hanging from a branch. But when I feel better its just great to go for a walk or a short canoe trip, and just to sit down and mash a cup of tea. It sometimes seems like an epic to me.

Enjoy Phil

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
On my break today, I made a whistle from the dead stalk of a teasel with a sliver of birch in the end to make the reed or whatever you call it. That was pretty gentle bushcraft a I didn't want to drop my butty or knock my cuppasoup over! One of the yooths thought it was great so I sent him home with it!

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Yes mate, there's no need to be roughing it! I like my comforts, and am constantly explaining to people that nothing happens fast in Bushcraft. We only use the term to let other people have some idea of what we get up to, but it's a huge subject matter, spanning a vast array of 'hands on' skills. It doesn't have to be survival and shelters, basket weaving counts just as well.

I teach bushcraft to the physically and mentally disabled for a living and they don't let it stop them ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I love the, "Chill the hell out asap ", adage myself :D

If you're really struggling, apply the brain, it's what it's there for. There's always another way :D

cheers,
Toddy

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
There is a thread somewhere entitled Survival is all about a cup of tea! Well, I think it applies to Bushcraft, in the sense that you can do it slowly, savour it in your own good time and enjoy it. There is plenty you can do in your home, leather craft is an example, some wood carving being another example. If you have a garden, then there is also a lot you can do there, from learning fire craft, to cooking on your fire, plants ID's, ID's the creatures that visit you and see what you can add to your garden to help them. You don't need to run around with an axe and a knife between your teeth to be a bushcrafter! Just enjoy it, at your own good pace..goodjob

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
H, just take things easy like me, if I need something from the back room such as a screwdriver to sort a plug out, I'll spend two minutes messing with a piece of baton that's been in the garden for years :) took me quite a while but I got there in the end, my first ever spoon, nothing great but it's a start and no rush whatsoever.

spooning.jpg

I do chill out messing with stoves etc in the garden and when I get the chance to go fishing, I'm whittling a rod rest or a float in me own time and playing about with knots, it's a chill thing for me. ;)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Many things can be done in an garden. make a spoon, dig a Dakota fire hole and make a cup of whatever, try out a fire board, practice using tinder, etc. It can be as low impact as you desire.

welcome and good luck!

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Gentle bushcraft - hell yes.

If I want excitement and hard work I go climbing or recently caving (or in SWMNBO car with her driving :eek:). Bushcraft for me is about kicking back and having me time. Often as not that means mooching about in the wood where I live or sitting around the fire in the garden.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE