Upset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im confident I can do the courses, though I am not very good at Maths.

(they will give me extra help with that)

But the bit that gets me is I dont feel up to that glorious image of me.

Yes you are right, Dad does have a chip on his shoulder about education. he went to college to study engineering; he was the top pupil.

but he had to leave due to health problems and go to work.

I said he could go now, but he feels he is at the end of his life.

(bear in mind my father can run rings physicaly and mentally around all of us...but he has little imagination. You would be impressed at the speed he has learnt to use the internet...but going on a course isnt his thing.)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I used to think teaching people was about giving them the information and advice they needed to succeed. Over the years I've come to the conclusion it's mostly about getting them to drop their preconceptions about how they learn things and creating a situation they can "play" with the new ideas/skills/info. I spend more of my time trying to help students get out of there own way than I would have ever though possible when I'd just qualified!

Maths, chemistry and physics are subjects which can be learned with no greater difficulty at any stage of life (sadly, music and languages are more easily learnt earlier) so this should not prove a block to you.

Good luck and go for it. I often end up telling people that there are 2 outcomes of trying anything; either you succeed or you get a chance to learn something new.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
But the bit that gets me is I dont feel up to that glorious image of me.

That's a good thing, dont you think? What kind of insufferable nobhead would you be if you did?

Your tutor, your dad and your shrink are all right about you. Nobody is wonderful all the time and few are truly bad all the time. Most of us are a bit of both in varying proportions. You have the capacity to be wonderful, but you are right, (in all probability) you are not a wonderful person, few of us are. You have the capacity to be bad, but you are not a bad person either. You have the capacity to be all sorts of things, good, bad, hard-working, lazy, intelligent, stupid, kind, selfish, attentive or narcissistic and like everybody else, you will be all of those things at some point. What kind of person you generally are, is down to you to decide which of those things you try to be and for how much of the time. You have the capacity to pass your course and you also have the capacity to fail it, it's up to you. Remember though, when someone describes you as wonderful, or as awful, they are only seeing and describing one facet of you, we are all far too complex to be defined in such simple terms ..and at some point, chances are they will both be right.

Last edited:

jack by the hedge

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2009
Leeds, W.yorks
Tengu,

I've enjoyed your past posts for a quite a while. I've been going thru a god awful time myself this past 9 months, hence not being on the boards much. I really find it hard sometimes to square what i hear said about me with the impression i have of myself.

How do i move on? I decide what i want to do and how i will do it. sometimes i run towards the goal, other days its a plod and a shuffle but i always believe that i will get there... well most of the time but i still move a bit forward.

believe in yourself, that is the first and last, and you'll do fine.

Good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE