Upgrading to Windows 10

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Well i eventually took up the offer of my free upgrade, it's currently downloading, if i disappear from the site for a few days you know it went pear shaped.

Anyone else taken the leap yet?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I had some fun with win7 back when it first came out but i was upgrading from Vista at the time so it was heaven in comparison.

Is your pc quicker as they claim it should be?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
i'm expecting a few niggles but i thought what the hell might as well jump in

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I've just reinstalled Windows 7 onto the laptop add it is still buggy, I won't be installing it onto my main pc for a while yet

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Still mainly 7 but running 10 on a Surface Pro 3 and its been problem free for me; that said I've not actually used it a lot...I will when I get it back off daughter lol.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Well hopefully it all goes smoothly and i'll be back online in a couple of hours, currently 75% downloaded, main reason i am going ahead is i am having glitchy issues with win7 and my new gopro hero 4 camera and i am hoping the upgrade sorts them out

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I went ahead and upgraded at the time. My only real niggle was it mucked up the power settings on my Acer laptop. Kept resetting the display brightness to zero when turning on on battery. This meant dragging out the power cables to bring screen to life so I could reset it. Now fixed. Other little thing is that it removed the "Lock" screen. Handy if needing to be away from the laptop for a minute or two.
Apart from that it does boot up faster though I try to keep the comp running pretty bare bones and not clog up the memory which helps. There was a lot of trawling through turning off sharing software and plugging security leeks, most modern machines love the idea of "The Cloud" which I don't; I know it has uses but I don't want them.
On the whole I'd say it's a pretty smooth transition. All my non Microsoft programs seem to be running fine, I was worried about things like Libre Office not running as I don't want to be paying an annual fee for Microsofts which I feel is a rip off.
No longer use my printer or scanner so don't know about drivers for those. But all the other peripherals I use, cameras, memory storage, MP3's, Kindles and the likes run nicely still.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I ran the system check tool and it says my system is ready to go except for one program so i am going to uninstall it before i go ahead, i'm not a cloud fan either so i'll be turning all that cack off too

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
lol well it's finished downloading, here goes nothing hopefully i'll be back soon

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Download finished ages ago and it now says preparing to install and the progress bar attached is moving so slow it looks like it's not

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Been using it since it first became available and not really had any problems, a few things I don't like but that is down to personal preference rather than actual problems.....the only thing that really annoys me (and there is probably a way around it if I could only be bothered to look) is the fact that I cannot simply use a right click resulting in a dropdown menu to create a shortcut to a webpage and drop it onto the desktop, though you can still re-open a page with IE and do it that way.
My Scanner and printer are both over ten years old (not used often) and both worked straight away and didn't need anything doing, as did camera's, MP3 players etc.

DB

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Anyone notice Bod hasn't been heard from in 4 hours. :D
He's either enjoying it or is in a morass of woe.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE