Update on rehanging an old Kent Pattern Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
Following on from this thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86753 where you all gave me some very useful tips, I have finally got around to fitting a new helve/handle to the axe head.

The axe head has been ground down to (roughly) even bevels as I think it used to be a one sided bevel that had been sharpened on both sides at some point in its past. I need to do a little more work to even out the bevels totally, but that can wait for a rainy day.

It started out like this (after I'd cleaned it up a bit).

Axe head 1 by subZero rider, on Flickr

Axe bevels 4 by subZero rider, on Flickr

I then filed the bevels roughtly even and tried to sharpen the blade.

head by subZero rider, on Flickr

I bought a replacement handle/haft for a GFB small forest axe (hoping it would fit). After a bit (a lot) of rasping/sanding down i got a partial fit.

part fitted2 by subZero rider, on Flickr

A bit of Teak oil before the final fit

bare haft by subZero rider, on Flickr

after more sanding I got a good fit

first wedge 5 by subZero rider, on Flickr

axe1 by subZero rider, on Flickr

A bit of filing/sanding to smooth things off and oiled with Teak oil, it's looking better

first wedge 3 by subZero rider, on Flickr

below head by subZero rider, on Flickr

first wedge 1 by subZero rider, on Flickr

then the metal wedge went in

wedges installed 2 by subZero rider, on Flickr

wedges installed 3 by subZero rider, on Flickr

ended up looking like this

finished axe2 by subZero rider, on Flickr

finished axe1 by subZero rider, on Flickr

alignment1 by subZero rider, on Flickr

hung axe 2 by subZero rider, on Flickr

wedges installed 2 by subZero rider, on Flickr

I've been out this evening to have an initial play with the axe. It was taking some nice chunks out of dead logs, but was not sharp enough to cut springy branches. There are some commercial logging works going on near me so I can go and hack at stuff without damaging live trees. I feel a test coming on :)

Thanks for the help

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE