Upcycled inner tube coin purse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Stopped by a local motorcycle garage this evening and picked up an inner tube (was after something they were chucking out but it was still inflated and seems pretty new). After looking for some inspiration on Etsy, I made this simple little coin purse with it:

20210512_201113-500x500.jpg

Think I need to change my needle as it was dropping a few stitches and should have washed it first as it was full of talc inside and left my hands black. Gave it a wash with soap under a hot tap and once it dries, it should be more pocket friendly!

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
When sewing neoprene or pvc and stuff that catches at the needle, use a solution of water and washing up liquid to smear on the seam as you sew.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What about waterproof pouches for cyclists? It seams you could use inner tubes to carry stuff in your back pocket. Those pockets are great for stuffing things in and the thicker rubber of tubes might stop the odd emergency tool from digging in. Plus most roadies don't want to carry much at all.

If anyone wants to make to sell there's a nice full circle of materials for an old inner tube to be used by cyclists.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What about waterproof pouches for cyclists? It seams you could use inner tubes to carry stuff in your back pocket. Those pockets are great for stuffing things in and the thicker rubber of tubes might stop the odd emergency tool from digging in. Plus most roadies don't want to carry much at all.

If anyone wants to make to sell there's a nice full circle of materials for an old inner tube to be used by cyclists.
Not sure how to make the seams waterproof but I can try with rubber cement

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not sure how to make the seams waterproof but I can try with rubber cement
Tbh they might not need to be completely waterproof. Could just be weather or water resistant.

One option could be thread that swells when wet to block stitching holes. The join is the only issue I think because unlike fabric you can't use watertight seams.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Tbh they might not need to be completely waterproof. Could just be weather or water resistant.

One option could be thread that swells when wet to block stitching holes. The join is the only issue I think because unlike fabric you can't use watertight seams.

I'll sew a piece up and fill with water to see how good it is. Welded seams are probably the way forward...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE