Unwanted visitors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Ask them if the book they're quoting from is in the original archaic hebrew. Not the english translation of the latin translation of the hebrew original. Other wise there's just no point. always fun to watch them stumble for an answer. We became really close friends with the JW's who used to come around. Let's face it you have have some respect for people who beleive strongly enough in their faith to put up with some of the crazy thing you lot have come up with. I really don't mind them if they take the hint but love a good argument otherwise. My Son's best frind has just decided to become a Catholic Priest and he loves coming to stay with us because of how much I make him think about his religion, from other perspectives. I'm a hedgewitch for want of a better term.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally I don't mind them - so long as they aren't some form of Christian - I'll cheerfully sic the dogs on them - can't understand a "religion of peace and love" that has killed, tortured and burned alive so many people. Quite like some of the others though - they seem to wish to persuade without the need for the "point of a sword" element

Red

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
I dont want to start an unruly debate, but has anybody been visted by Muslim door knockers? i have had all faiths bar muslim and wicca at my door.

Still its the same reply, why does your faith let bad things happen

Here's one for you I lived in Sardinia for a wee while, the buzzer on the gate went one morning and there were two guys in dark suits and sunglasses, I was a bit concerned (it being italy and all) but opened the gate and in my best broken Italian tried to explain I was a Brit, (by now I had seen the copy of watch tower), only to discover one of the suit clad gents was a cockeney .... cest la vie.

Moving on though my personal beliefs are not what one might call main stream and to anyone entering the house this is fairly obvious, we usally invite them in for a cuppa, the last lot a young couple were genuinely concerned that we would be damned for eternity, but at the same time quite interested.

Why does my faith let bad things happen?, everything has it's price I guess for good things to happen there have to be bad things too.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
one trick i know of that usually works.....become a regular blood donar and get a window sticker

most "visitors" see that a mile off and decide there and then that you are beyond redemption........

LOL, my god ( great wit there) the blood service should advertise that fact, i bet they would get so much they could have blood baths ( ok i will stop )

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Wow, this thread is Hi-larious

Why not just politely tell them you are busy, and bid them good day? Works for me, without all the dick swinging.

Because being polite and asking them to leave only works on a few.

The rest still "feel the call" to save my soul ... or the earth ... or the baby crippled purple whales ... or the dwellers of Pluto. And they don't want to leave until THEY have decided their mission in life is complete - and you fork over a large donation to help their "cause", of course. Glorified beggers living off of other people.

And the slightest hint of "acceptance" (or tollerance) to their "word" will bring them back over and over and over and over and over ....

These zealots from these "new" religions are the worst.

Mikey - that ... alleged ... grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I had Muslim ones when I lived in Bradford, took one look at me when I answered the door and apologised and left us alone after that. I guess the racial aspect was a big issue there.
In Warsaw we get Mormons from the US trying to convert people with a huge whiteboard and questions such as "what car does god drive?".
When I was younger my parents house had a drive, gate and loud dog which combined with being on the edge of town (last residence) meant we never really got these types of callers. We never even really got canvassers much - though the only time I remember we invited them in for a meal!

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Personally I don't mind them - so long as they aren't some form of Christian - I'll cheerfully sic the dogs on them - can't understand a "religion of peace and love" that has killed, tortured and burned alive so many people. Quite like some of the others though - they seem to wish to persuade without the need for the "point of a sword" element

Red

The Dominican's surely had faith to spare, The inquisition, I have read some of the stuff they did under the name the Hounds of God. The modern lot are no different really, they may not draw a sword and chastise you with it, but they are just as annoying in their own way, at least you can see the sword coming and try to avoid it or defend yourself, some of these modern day Hounds are verbal fencers par excellence.

There's one lot here every friday they put a bulky leaflet in the post hole there is a sign by the door "no mail through door, put in box please." The Jack Russells don't need as much food on a friday they seem stuffed.

I wonder also do these evangellists visit rectories, vicarages and parsonages and try to convert them or would that be pushing their luck a bit.:sulkoff:

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I can't speak for any of the other religions but I know a bit about Jehovah's Witnesses and feel I should clear up a few misconceptions.

The religion known as Jehovahs' Witnesses is a revivalist movement. They have tried to revive the original christianity as taught by Jesus and his apostles before various unsciptural beliefs and practices crept in. Therefore they cannot be held responsible for the crimes of the major churches.

JWs go from house to house because that is what Jesus did and what he instructed his followers to do (worked for him right?). They also have the legal right to call on people's houses.

JWs never ask for money. In fact all their literature is without charge. Their work is supported entirely by voluntary contributions that are never solicited. Most of the finance required to support the organisation comes from their own members' contributions but these are made anonymously and no one would know what an individual puts in if anything.

There are no prophecies I know of that suggest they should have 'disappeared' by now. They believe that we are living in the period of time that the Bible calls the 'last days', but they also adhere to what Jesus said when he told his followers that only God knows the exact hour when certain prophecies would come true.

JWs do not believe that they will go to heaven when they die. They reject the idea of an immortal soul as unscriptural.

There may be some 'old school' types that have truoble taking no for an answer but all JWs are encouraged by the organisation to respect other peoples' views and not to cause offence by forcing their own views on people. They try to give a 'good witness' by their conduct, amongst other things, making their visit a positive experience for people.

I know a lot of what they believe may seem weird to you but let's face it a lot of what you guys do in your spare time may seem weird to the majority of people. When JWs call on peoples homes they firmly believe that they are offering something that can really help them. That is their motivation so try to remember this when you when you feel like like making fun or being rude (not that it bothers them in the slightest!).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't make fun of religion, it matters too much to too many people. My own views are just that, and I don't either proselytise or act holier than thou over it.

I do find it awkward to be so rude as not to offer hospitality to someone who comes calling, but the religious callers are well aware of our customs and to be honest they are using that to their advantage.
To not interact/ converse with them I have to be discourteous, and I don't like that. It's a kind of passive offensiveness that sets teeth on edge.

Of the three varieties that my husband and I met on Saturday, only the Salvation Army man was someone we recognised, and we've lived in these two villages all our lives. It seems they're being bused in :rolleyes:

We have a long standing policy of no religious discussion on BcUK, this one was a bit non religious / religious, if I make myself clear.

Can we keep it to that please?

How to get rid of Unwanted Visitors.............

cheers,
Toddy

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
The best story I heard was the one of my ex girlfriends father in law.

He was a publisher, his wife an author. The wife was away launching her new book and Maurice had the kids (mus have been early 70s). The doorbell was rung, children were running around his legs and he was faced with the Jehovahs.

Are you familiar with the word of God?

'Indeed', replied Maurice, 'I'm his publisher.'

Entirely true as he was doing a run for the Gideons. He closed the door after an 'excuse me' to open mouths.

Brilliant.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I have absolutely no problem with a policy of no religious discussion.

I think it would have been better for the forum if a reminder of the policy had been posted by a mod after posts where people had been suggesting ways of being rude and how to upset religious people doing their entirely lawful activity of calling on homes, one person boasting that they sic their dogs on them.
Perhaps a reminder of that policy should have been posted then, rather than immediately after a post defending a religion, as well as reminding them that it is unacceptable behaviour to set dogs on people and that nobody wants to hear about it.
Is there a discrimination policy? Perhaps such a policy would have been highlighted if someone tried to offend the muslim faith. It seems Christians are fair game.

A reminder at that time would have been preferable to a reminder coming after a post where I was merely clearing up some misconceptions about one particular faith. Does attacking religion and suggesting offensive behaviour or even violence against it's members not contravene forum policy? If so, surely defending a religious organisation is also acceptable. If anyone wants to know anything about Jehovah's Witnesses before they make assumptions I'd be happy to recieve PMs.

I had thought highly of this forum. I thought it was full of people who were tolerant and open minded and enjoyed nature in the same way I do, if perhaps for different reasons. I hope my first impression reflects the truth.

And before anyone asks the witty question: No I am not related to Big Dan.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Prawnster yours is the first voice of dissent.
No one is slating religion, they are slating the discourtesy of cold calling.

This is a tolerant forum, of the people who have replied to this thread I know that there are several who are devoutly religious. They took no offence at the topic of Unwanted Visitors.

Your post was not the first to bring up religious details, but it was rather the first to go into much more than the discussion of the UV's, thus the polite reminder.

Toddy

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have absolutely no problem with a policy of no religious discussion.

I think it would have been better for the forum if a reminder of the policy had been posted by a mod after posts where people had been suggesting ways of being rude and how to upset religious people doing their entirely lawful activity of calling on homes, one person boasting that they sic their dogs on them.
Perhaps a reminder of that policy should have been posted then, rather than immediately after a post defending a religion, as well as reminding them that it is unacceptable behaviour to set dogs on people and that nobody wants to hear about it.
Is there a discrimination policy? Perhaps such a policy would have been highlighted if someone tried to offend the muslim faith. It seems Christians are fair game.

A reminder at that time would have been preferable to a reminder coming after a post where I was merely clearing up some misconceptions about one particular faith. Does attacking religion and suggesting offensive behaviour or even violence against it's members not contravene forum policy? If so, surely defending a religious organisation is also acceptable. If anyone wants to know anything about Jehovah's Witnesses before they make assumptions I'd be happy to recieve PMs.

I had thought highly of this forum. I thought it was full of people who were tolerant and open minded and enjoyed nature in the same way I do, if perhaps for different reasons. I hope my first impression reflects the truth.

And before anyone asks the witty question: No I am not related to Big Dan.

The point being that most people really are not that bothered at all by other peoples beliefs and let them carry on believing in any old stuff they want.
The problem comes when the believer comes round knocking on your door and generally makes a nuisance of themselves.

I as an athiset don't come round to your house or church chuntering on about egolution or whatever so don't be surprised if I get slightly irritated if you come round to my house trying to get me to believe in your particular brand of faith.

I manage to remain polite when dissuading them but firm all the same.
I never buy from cold callers, full stop.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Mods as I started this thread I would like to ask you to now close it before something is said that may be regretted. Thanks to all for your insights but I feel it has gone far enough.

Besides I don't want to be banned.

Andy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's been an interesting......experiment....... :11doh: to see if a thread with a tenuous religious connection could remain confrontationless.

I think all that needs to be said has probably been said.

Thanks all for your courtesy.

cheers,
Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE