unusual wasps?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi Had a warning from my father in law, He's famed for over-reacting so I'm not sure how worried to be, but this sounds a little weird.

he seems to have come across some unusual wasps smaller than the standard sort but much more aggressive

apparently he was gardening and got stung 5 times on his hand but the wasps were much smaller, can't tell you any more than that but he warned me to be careful.

not that useful to me then...watch out for small aggressive wasps;)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I always seem to think that wasps are quite small early on in the year and seem to get bigger later on.
Don't know if that's right or not.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I think he said they looked a different shape perhaps thinner? I know there are alot in the Wasp family.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I think he said they looked a different shape perhaps thinner? I know there are alot in the Wasp family.

I've noticed a few new strange beasties this year too. The one that springs to mind was a crane fly/daddy long legs that was much bigger than usual and had tiger stripes on its wings and large pincers on its bottom. Very weird it was.

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
A mate at work got stung by something small the other day, come up in a big lump. Definitely a sting, not a bite, he removed the sting in front of me, about 3mm long, no abdomen attatched, couldn't see any barbs under magnification.

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
I saw a daddy long legs with tiger stripes on its body yesterday. Got a closer than I would have preferred look as it was sitting under me keyhole.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE