Unknown large sharp metal thing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After a recent visit to my grandmother, I returned the proud of one of the these.

DSCF0116Small.jpg

Unfortunately, despite having already started to put the edge back on it (the silver bit on the picture) I do not actually know what it is. Does anyone else?

woodwalker

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Not a Yorkshire, but a Suffolk pattern billhook. Yorkshire's have a much longer handle and double sided blade.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
hmm, interesting :D
torjusg, do you mean you see no difference in use or in how they appear? I've generally found any billhook i've used to be pretty limited, but then they aren't mine and are therefore by default totally blunt, which is disappointing, but i'd prefer a decent axe for anything i'd otherwise use a billhook for.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
They are exactly the same in appearance. They were until quite recently used for taking branches off the trees to feed the livestock. I have found them to be excellent for this purpose, but not for anything else.

The advantage of the billhook over the axe is that the narrower blade allows you to take off a branch with one chop much easier. Also, the hook can be used in a pulling motion to drag the branches towards yourself.

The branches were bundled (into whast is called kjerv in my dialect) and and tied with another branch. Very easy and quick. Quite effective way of gathering fodder for your sheep.

Torjus Gaaren

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
I use my Devon bill' for lots of jobs - I find it's an excellent alround tool, especially for use around camp - I own a little GB hatchet, but the bill comes out with me 100x more often - I use mine more like a big knife than anything, and that includes splitting reasonibly broad rounds of wood, down to quite fiddly jobs (although it's not quiet upto spoon carving tho :p).

It's not a felling tool, nor will it cope with stuff a splitting maul is called for, but those jobs aside - it's a very versatile creature.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE