Unknown fungi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi I was wondering if some knowledgable person could help me out and identify this.
I live in the north of Scotland and of the12 years living here I have never seen this before. of the stand of beech trees only the 1 has this on it.

sorry about the blurry photos

t516o7.jpg

jzdts5.jpg

could it be some form of cauliflower fungus ??

many thanks in advance

CBJ

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Flicking through a couple of my books I'm thinking maybe it's Hairy Curtain Crust stereum hirsutem.

Apparently it's one of the first signs of decomposition so maybe that Beech is on it's way out ?

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Thanks shewie thats a big help

Ill need to keep my eye on that as the track to our house runs down an avenue with this beech on it

A real pity to loose a beech like that

Last edited:
May 14, 2008
uk
sorry ogri the trog I only have that picture which i took about two months ago whilst walking in the wood. but thanks for the possible id.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Looks like an "Earth Ball" Scleroderma citrinum from that picture, is it round like a puff ball? if so break it open and if it is a black/grey colour with a thick pale cream skin then its an earth ball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scleroderma_citrinum

I agree. Another way to tell the earthball, is by its base. An earthball has no stem and a small nest of 'roots' at its base.

And in case you were interested, these aren't edible, and will give you quite a severe stomach upset.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE