unexplained pigeon death...!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
hi all,
driving back onto my drive today i was confronted with this:

^^ this wasnt blood -so i think. There was only this staining on the feathers - nothing on the actual body

so after a bit of a play around with it, i so no obvious signs of cat, or gun, or anything for that matter - other than what seemed to be a very 'loose' neck - broken neck even!

therefore leading me to think this bird flew, slap bang, into the side of my house, and out cold!

I ask; is this likely? dont pigeons have fantastic senses - in particular eye sight?!
or, could there possible be more sinister goings on, like a possible framing after being poisoned etc? - being the result of human influence?! :dunno:

Would be appreciated if anyone could shed some light on the matter.
all the best,
Dan.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That could be a (shotgun) pellet mark on the left breast (the dark feather patch)? They make a tiny hole with small shot. Invisible till you pluck often

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
That could be a (shotgun) pellet mark on the left breast (the dark feather patch)? They make a tiny hole with small shot. Invisible till you pluck often

Good shout.
Never crossed my mind that because of the houses, it could've flown on for some distance before expiring.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could well be a pellet (but a headshot would be better ;))

I bet a bit of a pluck over that dark patch will show a little red hole

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Check above your house is there aeriels,telephone wires or any other lines near.Its a young pigeon and its neck looks hacked.

phil

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i tend to agree with you there Filcon, i thought it might even have flown into a window ( saw a crow like that once that had flown into a shop window )

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Hi all,
cheers for the comments!

After reading these I went out and plucked the suspected shot wound - found no entry hole what so ever! unless it is a lot smaller than i imagined; but even so, there was no blood; evidence of bleeding; or even bruising! :confused:

I will have another look on my roof tomorrow for any other signs.

And I wouldnt be so curious of this if it had flew into my window - that happens. But straight into a brick wall?! likely?

I do have an uncomfortable thought in the back of my mind that (as many people, and some gardeners, have a strong disliking for cats - of which i have 2, and there are many more in the street (cats that is! :rolleyes: )) this may be the efforts of a disgruntled neighbour trying to reduce the cat numbers by 'planting' this bird!! :(
I know, quite a claim, and rather elaborate, but you never know the efforts some people may go too! :dunno:

Anyways, like i said, i'll have another look around.
Cheers for the advice!!!

ps.
British Red
I think there might be some claret round the beak as well? That would be a clincher

what do you mean by 'claret'??

cheers, Dan.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
"When you hear hoof beats, think of horses, not zebras”

I think this old adage stands good here. It has flown into the wall I saw one remarkably similar outside a house on a street in town looked like the milkman was delivering pidgeons

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
"When you hear hoof beats, think of horses, not zebras”

I think this old adage stands good here. It has flown into the wall I saw one remarkably similar outside a house on a street in town looked like the milkman was delivering pidgeons

I like that, good point! :)

Thanks again guys!
Dan.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
we have birds hit the house all the time including this one
001-18.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi all,
After reading these I went out and plucked the suspected shot wound - found no entry hole what so ever! unless it is a lot smaller than i imagined; but even so, there was no blood; evidence of bleeding; or even bruising! :confused:

Anyone want to buy a second hand Deerstalker and magnifying glass :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE