Unexpected truffle find

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
On the pavement at work I came across a rather large and what I presume is a summer truffle.
I can only think that a badger had dug it up and while having a munch was disturbed going by the state of it.
I work in an enclosed site so apart from a rare badger coming onto the site there is no other explanation I can think of. The are is planted with oak and hornbeam hedging.

Certainly an unexpected find.

Truffle 1.jpg truffle 2.jpg

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Nice find! That's a big lump hey?!
Are you going to use it for culinary purpose, even though the badger had 1st dibs?

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I've never tasted truffle before so tempted to but no idea what on for a quick bite or how to prepare?
Would certainly have to cut off all the damaged parts, it's sat by my pc and I keep getting a strong waft.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I'd cut the damaged bits and use the rest.
It really doesn't need much to add that lovely taste.
Too much of it and that's all you'l taste...
Some people grate a tiny bit onto their stews or pâté.
Some will infuse it ( no need to put much ) in olive oil , just so to add to salads etc.
It will take a few weeks, if not months but it works.

Really thin , (almost see through) slices in a bacon and cheese omelette add an amazing aroma and taste too for a quick try out.

Google is your friend on this one, I bet you'll find dozens if not hundreds of ideas and recipes...

Good find ! Enjoy !

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Oh you lucky man! Only ever found one once, Spaniel scratted it up from Hazel roots; truly delicious taste and scent. That's a lovely big lump, too.....I wouldn't be throwing any of that anywhere except down my neck!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd ignore the damaged bits, I'd use them. It's a fabulous truffle, make the most of it.

I live in perfect broadleaf woodland, mature Beech all over. I really ought to get a hound.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Very nice, the chanterelles are out already and plenty of puffballs usually around here !

I must get on the truffles, despite having plenty of mature beech woodland around , I failed miserably to train my canine friend to find these truffles...he's more interested in sticks and bogs... 😒
There must be loads around my local woods , just waiting to be found ...

I have already spotted a few fungui , so will be out foraging soon.
I dont mean to wish my life away but... Roll on Autumn!

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Heehee, already started here. Had a long weekend 2 weeks ago up in Scotland. Filled the car with chanterelles and hedgehogs. ceps are starting to come through now as well. its time for the drier to start earning its keep again.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Truffles
What way would you describe the flavour
I purchased a packet of truffle flavour crisps from Aldi or Liddle and they tasted of strong garlic ,endid up in the food recycling bin
Mick

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
It's an acquired taste, and quite unusual. Strong garlic and a strong mushroomy type of taste...
I don't blame you for chucking those crisps, sounds gross...
😁

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Fresh they have a very beetroot/earthy smell. flavour wise, very hard to describe, again, very earthy, intense. if i'm feeling posh, i leave one in a tupperware container with a nice camembert, the flavor it imparts is phenomenal. but, as Leshy said, it can be an acquired taste.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE