UnderQuilt help -Army bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Eyup folks, had a quick search and couldn't find any help. (Tapatalk is limited so apology if its been covered?)

I've a couple of spare gronk bags waiting to be butchered. Anyone already user an army bag ?
I'm open to advice on where to make the cuts?

The arrows indicate options I have in mind. The first pics show consideration for having a foot box ? Would it be benifitial? Practible ?
I was thinking of threading the hammock through a hole made in the bottom ?

The second pic is for width ? Wether to go down the center or down the edges ? If center , there would still be the horrible weight and pack size to contend with. If I take it down the edges , would there be enough cover ?

What about the hood ? Again wether to leave it on and make a hole to thread it through or to just split it or remove ?

Cheers all.

95fed902-5b08-e5b8.jpg

95feda02-5b49-1798.jpg

The dog knows a good under quilt when he sees one !
95feda02-5ba5-af41.jpg

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Just in the same position mate. I have an old arctic bag that im looking to convert to an underblanket/cocoon
Got a rough idea where i want to make my cuts at the bottom but not sure about the hood yet.

Other thing is im not sure if i should run some cords up the sides to take up the slack or try and tension it from the ends.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Looks like we could both benift from some advice. I was intending to sew loops for cord in aswell as. Having it held from the hood and foot box. I'm itching to get going, but I've only two artic bags and don't want to waist both. I suppose , worst case scenario I,ll end up with a couple of over blankets lol.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My only issue with doing it is the bag i have is the short one. Really should give it a go and try to learn by my mistakes then go buy a long bag and make it right. One big downside will be the packed away size.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I'l be interested to see how you get on with this project mate, I was going to do the same but bottled it due to the weight.

My plan was to reinforce the shoulder width with a "yolk" of webbing, well 2 to be precise with velcro between them, allowing you to pass the hammock through. At the ends of the yolk I was going to put loops with plastic D rings sourced from evilbay. You could then put straps with adjustable buckles on or just bungees. The velcro will allow you to close the slit in the bag to the right size. For total draught elimination I was going to make a cone of matching ripstop type stuff with a draw cord on. just sew that on the outside of the bag, covering the centre of the yolk.

The foot section would be pretty much the same type of affair on the bottom part of the footbox.

As I said I have not got round to it due to the weight and I'm not sure I could turn over in my sleep etc.

The fabric was from fabricsandstuff website (99p a meter), its quite thin but doubled up it looks ok.

Good luck with it mate !

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Sounds interesting, but I can't quite picture it. Weight wise, that's my hang up, but I thought if I cut out the top panels , so to speyk, then I could live with it? I want to do some 2-3 day mooches and would like to swing . If I can make these then I've an old mountain equipment down bag I might butcher?

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Nice dog !

Anyway, I have been informed that my sketches for this project have been misplaced ( going from previous experience this means lost / binned / not to be found for years, lol)

So with the hangover from hell, I have improvised a mock up for you of a vague idea of what I was planning to do.(minus the d rings on the ends of the webbing, also no velcro inside the webbing loop).

The cone of 99pence ripstop is there and the webbing is seatbelt type stuff from an upholstery shop I bought years ago.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/tartanferret/

Hopefully that link will work, enjoy my hungover effort !

Oh, and if you want a couple of meters of that ripstop stuff and webbing theres some here in barnsley with your name on it. Where abouts in wakey are you by the way?

cheers !

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Is it an underquilt you are going for rather than a cocoon type? I can sympathise with the mess, I'm hacking up a cheapo sleeping bag at the moment. The inside is getting covered with the ripstop I mentioned and the outer is getting covered with some stuff that looks a bit like issue bivvy bag material. (with a slight sheen to it)

Its showerproof and breathable, Its originally from a factory that makes raincoats. (they are more famous for their check)

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Oh my god. Got one hole through so far and sewn up. Gonna start ont tother end soon. Im trying to create a cocoon as aposed to an underblanket.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
UnderQuilt or cocoon ? That's a quandry......

Here's some trials an errors so far......
As you can see....openings in wrong place and too narrow, restrictin the spread of the hammy.

95fedb02-878e-55c2.jpg

95fed902-8869-345b.jpg

95feda02-888f-e9d6.jpg

New lower and wider opening at head end....

95feda02-88cb-ce28.jpg

5c189553-890b-417f.jpg

As yer can see, the head end needs an attach point to move it and hold it closer to the crab point.

We think we can work around this.

I've worked out I can sacrifice 4+" from the top panels , which will help reduce weight&pack and also pull the underbag in a bit....

b26c4f75-8a9c-89cf.jpg

And I could still lay on my side
b26c4f75-8af9-e04c.jpg

Got some things to do and work out yet , so ill leave it there today.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Which length zip bag is it you are making the cocoon from Johnnyboy? I bought a long zip version just for this purpose but due to it being in better condition than my other 2 (standard zip) I havn't got the heart to cut it up.

I think I'l wait to see how you get on with yours.

Have you seen my mock-up pics for the draft proofing idea?

I was going to add tubes of ripstop down the sides of the bag to thread shock cords through to hold the bag up.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Oh my god. Got one hole through so far and sewn up. Gonna start ont tother end soon. Im trying to create a cocoon as aposed to an underblanket.

I'm unsure of the cocoon....like to be able to get out quick if needed. Id use a narrowish length of wool blanket for a cover, and it could double as a wrap for cold nights around a cooking fire.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
@ tartenferret....sounds like you've alot more work to do yours , but with less chance of wrecking a good bag ;)

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Chiseller, looking good so far. I don't know if it may benefit from having the hole at the foot end, at the base rather than the top, it might give you room for your feet.

Ps, I bet your neighbours think you are tapped! lol:)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Like the idea of the tubes, but it means more figitty sewing ....which I'm not reyt good at. *calls swmbo* lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE