under ground cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ferret

Aug 2, 2005
Berkshire
Can you advise me on the best way of cooking in the ground. I would like to try to cook a joint of lamb under the ground and i am looking for advice as to what kind of fire, how long, etc and any tips. Have you ever tried it. Thanks for any advice.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Don't use pine wood! :D That is, unless you like turpentine flavoured lamb :lmao:

Other than watching the hangi at the Moot last year, I have only tried it once, that was with a rabbit in clay, left with the fur on and not so much smeared in clay as folded into a clay "pitta pocket", over which a fire was lit, useing up to 2"x12" sticks, then allowed to burn down over an hour or so. The meat was steamed and very tender. Using hardwood is important I think.

As for heating stones, I am sure that some are better than others, but you can't always be picky, beyond not getting those that are wet (in the tide zone, or river bed) or those that are glassy like flint or quartz.

Hope it goes well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE