under blanket for hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i am a bit of a hammock convert for years now so i know even mildish weather with the slightest breeze can make your back chilli in one

i know that a lot of you guys on here use a form of under hammock thing for them that stopd the compression

can anyone direct me to a place to get one or even better give tips on a good way of inprovising one

oh btw i have the mears eco hammock

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Unsponsored makes some nice 3/4 length models, I have one of his down models which is really toasty and packs down tiny. There should be some in the Makers Market if you look.

If you really want to treat yourself then looking over the pond there are lots of choices. I got the Speer Snugfit which is awesome but not cheap.

The Snugpak synthetic one is superb but quite bulky, okay for shorter tramps/canoe trips or car camping but you wouldn't want to carry it too far. I used one for a couple of years well down in the minuses often and never had a bad nights sleep.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i need cheap and quick atm going to be out this weekend - and though its not a wild weekend im already buying a big tent and 4 air beds for the non camper types who are comming - i just want to be able to sneak of to the woods with the hammock once im happy they are ok lol

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I can lend you my Unsponsored UB if you want to give one a try, I'm away in Prague at the weekend so I won't be needing it.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
thats a generous offer but i dont think the legistics make it possible

im thinking of buying a cheap duvet and cover ripping out the bottom of cover and then threading the duvet cover over the hammock with duvet on under side of hammock

but tbh even if i dont do that ive use thermerests in there before wasnt ideal but i can manage it - there is always the beer option just drink enough of it i can be happy sleeping in a hedge - though have to admit the wakey up is not prety lol

Argos are doing a basic 4.5 tog single duvet for under £5 we got a couple for my daughters bed so im looking at them but no idea how the tog relates to outdoor ratings etc and its light n thin but dosnt appear to pack very well

best ive come up with is to use the thinner of the 2 sleeping bags out of mt Snugpack SF sleep system as an under blanket in the second skin in my HH

ATB

Duncan

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
thats not a bad idea

maybe one of those cheap retangle sleeping bags and cut the bottom out thread it through hammock
might do the trick
if it works well i can always do a bit of needle work and adjustments in the future

i dont really use hammack for back packing when i go light weight i use a hillberg or a bivi bag (thoug hillberg is not much more weight than a bivi bag)prefer bivi bag as i love the ease of the pitch of them lol

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
thats not a bad idea

maybe one of those cheap retangle sleeping bags and cut the bottom out thread it through hammock
might do the trick
if it works well i can always do a bit of needle work and adjustments in the future

i dont really use hammack for back packing when i go light weight i use a hillberg or a bivi bag (thoug hillberg is not much more weight than a bivi bag)prefer bivi bag as i love the ease of the pitch of them lol

I used a cheap karrimor summer rectangle bag I had when out at L Lomond the other week,worked a treat.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
I got cold in July in the UK once under similar circumstances so I know what you mean.

Have you tried putting a normal insulation mat between your sleeping bag and the hammock? I used this trick in my hennessy and camped at -10 in the carpathians with 12 inches of snow. Woke up toastie except my nose. Its a very cheap solution to your problem maybe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE