Unboxing the "Exped Scout Combi" hammock and tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
please can someone pm me where to get these asap!!!

Hey Trekkingnut, the store is The Mountain Factor, but they seem to have sold out. Most of us bought them 4-5 weeks ago - when they were on sale.
Fanily enough, I got the the tip from a guy in the states who posted the link of this UK store in the hammock forums on the 8th of July. Fourdog over in HF is a great fan, and I am getting very fond of it after using if for 2 weeks.

seg

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Hey Trekkingnut, the store is The Mountain Factor, but they seem to have sold out. Most of us bought them 4-5 weeks ago - when they were on sale.
Fanily enough, I got the the tip from a guy in the states who posted the link of this UK store in the hammock forums on the 8th of July. Fourdog over in HF is a great fan, and I am getting very fond of it after using if for 2 weeks.

seg

why didnt you post the name of the shop originally? is it against the rules on this site?

funnily enough i read this thread on the hf site... just didnt put two and two together and assumed it was in the US! what a bloody shame! going to belize for six months, would have been a good road test! need to branch out from HH!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
why didnt you post the name of the shop originally? is it against the rules on this site?

funnily enough i read this thread on the hf site... just didnt put two and two together and assumed it was in the US! what a bloody shame! going to belize for six months, would have been a good road test! need to branch out from HH!

I put up the link in another thrread. I've been a big HH fan for years now and decided to branch out for the bargain price... I love this hammock. I'm off to Venezuela on a herping exped next month, and after testing it, I am fully confident it will be a great piece of kit.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I put up the link in another thrread. I've been a big HH fan for years now and decided to branch out for the bargain price... I love this hammock. I'm off to Venezuela on a herping exped next month, and after testing it, I am fully confident it will be a great piece of kit.

BOOOOO! Stop boasting!!! im mortified!!!

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
But you are off to Belize man. That really sucks :lmao:

tis all work related.... but i guess it does kinda make up for it... just looked like a really cool hammock!!! would have loved to try it out!!! still trying to get my hands on a 30d hh hex tarp.... so bloody expensive to ship stuff from hh!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
tis all work related.... but i guess it does kinda make up for it... just looked like a really cool hammock!!! would have loved to try it out!!! still trying to get my hands on a 30d hh hex tarp.... so bloody expensive to ship stuff from hh!

Mines work too. We are soooo unlucky eh.

Aug 9, 2010
switzerland
It comes with (...) 4 webbing lines (thick flat rope), each 2.5m /98in long, which have buttonholes-like openings every 10cm (4 in). (does anyone know how you use these?):
Make a bigger knot at the end of the line, make a loop, thread it through a first opening and then trough a second opening. That's how the lines were fixed to the hammock when I got it. I don't really have any better idea, it looks a bit unsave but when it's tightened it seems to be stable enough.

There are 2 webbing lines to fix the hammock, what are the other 2 for?

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
The instruction that came with mine said to use two lines (already in the ends of the hammock) for conventional two point set up ,or four (the other two you reffered to) to make a four point set up i'm guessing with one line at each corner.

I'll look again tonight if no one else gets back to you, but there are small black tags on the corners of the hammock..which i have paid little attention to but these may be the suspension points for the '4 point set up'....they looked small from memory though...still it's all i can think they'd be used for?
any other suggestions on the 4 point set up the instruction reffered to?

ScotchDave

Forager
Jan 6, 2010
Glasgow/California
I threaded mine through each other, so you end up with two of the opening together, then I tie a simple overhand knot and a bow. Will try and get pictures next time I go out.

Dave

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The other two are for use as a four point attachment, or for extending the current ones if the trees are wide or too far apart for just two to reach.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi folks,
I contacted Jonathan a few days ago as I'd read this thread at some point but couldn't find it again. I hadn't taken in the name of the product or the £50 outlet, but liked the look of the hammock when he sent in the post, "Posting from my hammock".

My usual haunts tend to be rough terrain, very often without trees or with trees in inconvenient places, making hanging a hammock impractical. My main concern over the years though has been the nuisance of midges and mossies and my old system just wasn't effective against them. As a result, I've preferred my tent.

My old hammock, rarely used now, has seen better days and the tarp is showing signs of crazing... that crinkled look resulting from too much exposure to sunlight, so time for replacement and to pass on my old one to a deserving youngster I know.

As has been said, the £50 deal is past, but I found a retailer, http://www.air-outdoors.co.uk/206/Hammocks.aspx with a sales price of £75. My thinking is that everyone who has posted seems quite impressed with the Exped Scout Combi, and the OP's impression was one of quality. I don't need a new tent, but if I did I'd be looking for a sales price of something like £180!

I ordered the goods about half an hour ago! I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Thanks a lot for the help and sound advice, guys. Now I'm excited!
:hammock:
:campfire:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'd say its worth every penny of that. I really love mine. Grab a snakeskin from DD hammocks too. I found that an important extra.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've just been looking at the exped site. It says the hammock is 2.15 metres long, surely this must be a typo?

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
I've just been looking at the exped site. It says the hammock is 2.15 metres long, surely this must be a typo?

Yes, it must be a typo.

If you look at my original post that started this thread (first post, with pictures) I have given the actual dimensions. The length of the hammock is 300cm (about 120in).
The PDF catalogue which you can download from their site has the correct dimensions.

seg

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yes, it must be a typo.

If you look at my original post that started this thread (first post, with pictures) I have given the actual dimensions. The length of the hammock is 300cm (about 120in).
The PDF catalogue which you can download from their site has the correct dimensions.
seg

Thanks for clearing that up Seg.
I saw the site measurements didn't match yours and wanted to clarify.
I really like the look of it, it looks a quality piece of gear.

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
Thanks for clearing that up Seg.
I saw the site measurements didn't match yours and wanted to clarify.
I really like the look of it, it looks a quality piece of gear.

It certainly seems to be quite hard wearing. I only gave it 2 weeks of continuous use earlier this month, but was very happy with it. Message no 34 has the latest good price for this - discounted to £75 I believe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE