Ulu? whats it for?

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Okay, here's a bunch to look through. I didn't go through them all to see if they offer international shipping, thinking that if there's something that catches your eye then you can check it out. At the very least, you'll get a good idea about what's available. I also included ebay but I'm not sure if the usual knife rules apply to ulus as they do to regular knives as far as UK shipping is concerned.
The ones from Caribou Blades are made by Scott, who is a member here.
As you can see, they range in price from very inexpensive to very expensive, depending on whether they're mass produced or custom made but there should be something to suit all budgets I think.
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=ulu+knife&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359
The ULU Factory
canada knife|grohmann custom ulu knife
Ulu Knives for the Kitchen & Backcountry

Cabela's: Knives of Alaska Magnum Ulu Knife
Grohmann Knives Clearance Page

Amazon.com: Alaskan Ulu, Legendary Knife of the Arctic: Health & Personal Care
Ulu.Com
Alaska Ulu Knives
Alaskan Ulu Knives
Cajun Slick - Ulu knives
Ulu Knives from Alaska
Alaskan ULU Factory - Knife Center
Alaska Gifts | The Great Alaskan Bowl Company - Silkok Antler Ulu
Ulu Knives and Bowls by Eagle River Knife Company

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought the last one that came up for sale here :)
It's a Bruseletto, and it's a substantial bit of kit :approve:

It's the original all purpose domestic knife. It's excellent for butchery, scraping hides, cutting leather, preparing food.
It puts less stress on my fingers and wrists than a conventional knife does since the whole handle is held in the palm and not with the fingers curled so much.
Very effective tool :D

cheers,
Toddy

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I love them Toddy ,I made this one maybe 3 years ago and have been using it for everything from food prep to cutting leather .The Inuit knew what they were up to,I am going to making some of these soon with various handle materials if anyone has any interest in one give me a pm please.
Picture3614.jpg

Picture3613.jpg

Picture3612.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Ulus are useful for most knife tasks. My favorites are made by Maynard Linder of Homer Alaska. His business is called Dancing Man Knives and Ulus. All his ulus are based on traditional patterns and are made from saw blades.

This is a sewing ulu.

Ulus are fantastic in the kitchen. Wonderful food processors. :)

Schwert should be along before long to dazzle you with his Dancing Man Ulu photos. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE