ultralight trekking kit list

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Pacer poles are great, really like mine. Currently trying to resist the urge to buy the Titanium Caldera cone with inferno upgrade for my Alpkit Mug. http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-ti-tri
The aluminium cone has gradually been trashed over the past couple years.

Do you notice the difference with the Pacers compared to conventional poles ? I've only ever used a single pole and that is mainly for descents after a long day on the hills, I get some pain in my right knee and sore heels these days and having the crutch of a pole really helps, it sounds like the Pacer might even improve on that. Looking forward to giving them a go anyway.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Do you notice the difference with the Pacers compared to conventional poles ? I've only ever used a single pole and that is mainly for descents after a long day on the hills, I get some pain in my right knee and sore heels these days and having the crutch of a pole really helps, it sounds like the Pacer might even improve on that. Looking forward to giving them a go anyway.

how will they work out with your trailstar, i noticed the handles go forward at an angle, am i right in saying the trailstar takes the handle of the poles, unlike the cuben tarp which takes the tip of the pole with the handle to the ground, not sure if they would work for me.....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
how will they work out with your trailstar, i noticed the handles go forward at an angle, am i right in saying the trailstar takes the handle of the poles, unlike the cuben tarp which takes the tip of the pole with the handle to the ground, not sure if they would work for me.....

Yeah they work fine apparently mate, all the reviews I've been reading have used Pacers on the setup. Handle is up and the spike is into the floor.

You can see one in the fourth piccie here ..
http://www.stevenhorner.com/?p=1003

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
picked up a nice PHD Ultra down pullover today, only weighs 230g so a nice warm item for night after a hard days trek, got to be a nice piece of workmanship, i have to wait for upto 30 days for it.......

Also got some of the PHD down socks too, mmmm toasty warm feet in the sleeping bag....

Col

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
picked up a nice PHD Ultra down pullover today, only weighs 230g so a nice warm item for night after a hard days trek, got to be a nice piece of workmanship, i have to wait for upto 30 days for it.......

Also got some of the PHD down socks too, mmmm toasty warm feet in the sleeping bag....

Col

I've been looking at one of their Minimus jackets on ebay today :)

P.S
We need to arrange a trip out before they erect all those wind turbines up there

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
from finding hammockforums.net and seeing how they take traditional hammock camping to a whole new lighter level

Yes I think I had/have the same problem.

Current kitlist from this weekend trip
GoLite Pinnacle 935g
Hammock (with whoopies, straps, biners, ridgeline and drybag, but without bugnet) 610g
Cook kit (ti cup, whitebox stove, chopsticks, windshield, stainless spork) 309g
Tarp bag (tarp, ridgeline, soft shackles, drybag) 778g
Sleeping bag (Rab 400, pillow, UQ) 1597g
Extra clothes (microfleece, thermals, socks, hat, buff, wind smock) 960g
Odds (fak, torch, poncho, knife, washkit, etc) 843g

6032g I think. When it heats up I'll ditch the thermals and big tarp and I'll be under 5kg. Whoooo buddy ;)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Do you notice the difference with the Pacers compared to conventional poles ?

I have some Pacer Poles...

IMG_0758.jpg

They are good.. If you're used to regular 'Leki style' poles the Pacers take some getting used to as the ergonomics of them is different... For me they really excel on descents.

Build quality is good... If they have one down side it's that having a lot of your hand in contact with that much plastic can make for sweaty hands in hot weather.. You'll be ok in the UK...

HTH

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I've been looking at one of their Minimus jackets on ebay today :)

P.S
We need to arrange a trip out before they erect all those wind turbines up there

That would be good Rich, just had a knee op, so anytime after the next 2 weeks mate.

People who know us and the amount of kit we buy, must find it really funny that we are having a discussion about carrying minimalist kit - oh the irony!

P.S I dont have a problem with the wind turbines, just means i have to buy longer cordage so i can tie my tarp round the turbine column........

colin

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That would be good Rich, just had a knee op, so anytime after the next 2 weeks mate.

People who know us and the amount of kit we buy, must find it really funny that we are having a discussion about carrying minimalist kit - oh the irony!

P.S I dont have a problem with the wind turbines, just means i have to buy longer cordage so i can tie my tarp round the turbine column........

colin

Prolly wait until my MLD goodies turn up mate before I hit the hills again, I'll be up with the noo soon enough though :)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK

I find the pacer poles give more positive feedback then normal poles, very comfortable to use, although it takes a bit of getting used to not having the wrist strap to push down on. My knees aren't brilliant and they have definitely helped with descents. Single poles are usually to be avoided as they can push your body out of alignment and cause more problems so it's worth getting used to walking with two if you're going to be using poles.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks to everyone who listed some of their light weight kit, i hope it helped some of you guys and lets others see that it is possible to do a trek and not kill yourself in the process by carrying 30kg on your back.

Colin

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had a go at a list which I reckon is pretty close to what I'll be carrying on the hills this year ...

Osprey Exos 46 pack - 1050g
MLD Trailstar tarp - 453g
MLD Superlight bivvy - 209g
Pipedream 400 sleeping bag - 750g
NeoAir short - 260g
Pack liner - 29g
Mission packs - 78g
Apollo bags - 62g
Sea-to-summit ultra -sil dry bags - 90g
MBD Mini Atomic 2 - 48g
MBD QMH cookset - 69g
Bushcooker - 210g
Terra Nova 370ml Ti mug - 56g
Wickes glazing sheet groundsheet - not sure yet but guessing - 180g
Plastic spork - 14g ?
Lhoon - 18g
Pegs x 10 - 304g
500ml Meths - 420g
Supalite filter system - 245g
Montane Featherlite smock - 115g
Alpkit Filet - 460g (might drop this for something lighter)
Bridgedale socks - 56g
Merino beanie - 28g
Need new waterproofs - 500g ?

Base weight - 5618g

Not included poles, water bottle, food & water

I'll settle with that for now :)

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I think ive got some tyvek in the shed that you could use for a ground sheet, i noticed a lot of the ultra light backpackers use it, i will weigh it tomorrow and if its way less than your wickes sheet i will send you a few lengths of it mate.

What pegs are you using, 304g for 10 pegs seems a bit high mate, or are you using more heavy duty pegs cause your in the hills. Other than that, it looks like a good safe balance between lightweight kit and good quality strength that you will need in the hills.

P.S I noticed that you didnt have a manservant/sherpa in your kit list Rich, whos going to carry your backpack up the mountain........

Col..

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think ive got some tyvek in the shed that you could use for a ground sheet, i noticed a lot of the ultra light backpackers use it, i will weigh it tomorrow and if its way less than your wickes sheet i will send you a few lengths of it mate.

What pegs are you using, 304g for 10 pegs seems a bit high mate, or are you using more heavy duty pegs cause your in the hills. Other than that, it looks like a good safe balance between lightweight kit and good quality strength that you will need in the hills.

P.S I noticed that you didnt have a manservant/sherpa in your kit list Rich, whos going to carry your backpack up the mountain........

Col..

Yeah not sure about the peg situation yet, that 340g is for the whole pack from MLD but I'll need to see which I need.

I'm just guessing that groundsheet too, not bought it yet. Check out the tyvek mate as I could be up for a slice of that if you don't mind.

No sherpa mate but I fancy a donkey or two :)

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I take it you went for the set of pegs they sell, i just got a dozen of their ti pegs.

Will check out the tyvek for you tomorrow, im sure ive still got a half roll of it from one of my jobs.

Heres a link to a yank site i use for the ultralight backpacking, they have a small shop, but if you go into the community section you will see a forum in it, full of reviews and info.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html

Colin

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I take it you went for the set of pegs they sell, i just got a dozen of their ti pegs.

There's 5 x 9" Easton stakes for bad weather and 5 x 6.5" Ti skewers, I've got some of the v-shaped Alpkit Ti ones too which I'll probably use to put a good set together.

Cheers for the linky

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Rich, dug out the Tyvek and cut a 8ft length of it, its 1m wide as well. Total weight of sheet came in at 290g, which lets be honest isnt mega light, the stuff ive got is the roofing version, which i think will be a heavier cloth than the building paper version. I will check it out next time im in the builders merchants and see the difference for you.

Its yours if you want it (oh and its green as well), if not i will try to see if i can get hold of the lighter weight tyvek....

Col

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Rich, dug out the Tyvek and cut a 8ft length of it, its 1m wide as well. Total weight of sheet came in at 290g, which lets be honest isnt mega light, the stuff ive got is the roofing version, which i think will be a heavier cloth than the building paper version. I will check it out next time im in the builders merchants and see the difference for you.

Its yours if you want it (oh and its green as well), if not i will try to see if i can get hold of the lighter weight tyvek....

Col

Can you get this Tyvek at builders merchants in small amounts then?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE