ultralight trekking kit list

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Reference the Merril Moab's the reason I got the gtx versions and not those without was cause that was what they had in the shop at the time and fitted extremely well from the off. Yep to the none gtx version would be just as good if not better, with bog jumping your feet are going to get wet through the boots no matter what but as I carry a spare pair of socks in the car no biggie and if necessary I also have gtx sock and seal skins but most of my long distance walks I use anything from sport socks to 1000 mile sock and standard walking socks too, they have great support and are light on your feet compared to leather boots, (which I wear to work though orders not choice:) ). but for walking they are a lot lighter and 1kg on your feet is the same as having 5kg on your back. the merril's also got a great review in trail think they were best in test :) although I have had mine ages and will soon be replacing them through wear and probably get a second pair to ease up the damage to them.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Shoes - Vibram five fingers KSO trek.

Bag PHD down - 465g / Western Mountaineering - 750g

Groundsheet - polycryo - 43g

Rucksack -- OMD 32l

Insulation Montbell down gilet - 110g

tarp - DD 3x3 or tent - Golite Shangrilah 3

Alpkit wee airic

That's the basis of what I carry for a short backpackjing trip.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland

Rucksack -- OMD 32l

Alpkit wee airic

Treadlightly I don't want to appear to be picking holes in your base weight in particular so please don't take offence ... you just happen to be the last post in this thread... due to ill health I have had to reduce my own base weight over the last year and I often wonder why people don't include the actual weight they carry. In your case you have everything you need to walk and sleep in but you don't mention cooking equipment. What do you carry water in ? ... Even empty water containers weigh something ... First aid kits are considered essential kit but not included in base weight ... In Ireland we have to carry rain gear all year .. the UK is not that much different ... raingear weighs something ... when its wet its three times as heavy ... even day walkers carry a warm fleece or jacket for stops ... more weight .... food .. more weight ... etc. etc. .... to me a base weight should be all essentials carried ...:confused:

I would be interested to hear from the hikers on here as to what they actually carry in total ... for .... lets say two nights out ... including everything they carry. I think that a list of essential equipment, food and water weighed properly and listed on here would be of benefit to all of us that aspire to lightweight hiking

Any takers ?

Andrew

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Treadlightly I don't want to appear to be picking holes in your base weight in particular so please don't take offence ... you just happen to be the last post in this thread... due to ill health I have had to reduce my own base weight over the last year and I often wonder why people don't include the actual weight they carry. In your case you have everything you need to walk and sleep in but you don't mention cooking equipment. What do you carry water in ? ... Even empty water containers weigh something ... First aid kits are considered essential kit but not included in base weight ... In Ireland we have to carry rain gear all year .. the UK is not that much different ... raingear weighs something ... when its wet its three times as heavy ... even day walkers carry a warm fleece or jacket for stops ... more weight .... food .. more weight ... etc. etc. .... to me a base weight should be all essentials carried ...:confused:

I would be interested to hear from the hikers on here as to what they actually carry in total ... for .... lets say two nights out ... including everything they carry. I think that a list of essential equipment, food and water weighed properly and listed on here would be of benefit to all of us that aspire to lightweight hiking

Any takers ?

Andrew

He is only giving the base weight because in the 1st post thats what i asked for, everything else people carry is down to personal choice but most people will always have a carry system/cook system/sleep system.

My total weight 2 weeks ago, was just under 8kg, that included spare clothes, 2 litres of water, 4 days foods and such things as head torch, spare batteries etc....

colin

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys

Any takers ?

Andrew

No offence taken.. I wasn't aiming to list all I carry or even, strictly speaking, my actual base weight, just the basics which form my lightweight kit.

To that list for a short trip I would add water, some snacks, maybe a Whitebox meths stove or a lightweight hobo for cooking and MSR titan kettle as pot/drinking vessel. Also, of course a waterproof. In summer I'd take a silnylon cape which weighs very little (140g I think).

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland

Rucksack -- OMD 32l

Alpkit wee airic

Treadlightly, how long have you been trekking with the vibram 5 fingers trail shoes and what do you make of them, advantages, disadvantages etc.....

Col

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Treadlightly, how long have you been trekking with the vibram 5 fingers trail shoes and what do you make of them, advantages, disadvantages etc.....

Col

I've not backpacked that much with them but so far I'm really impressed. I've done a fair bit of longish, non-backpacking walks and they are comfortable (with or without socks) and give a great, sure-footed ground feel.

Last weekend I did two six milers on consecutive days carrying a light overnight pack and they were fine, no foot problems at all. I didn't use them through the winter though, they're just now coming out of hibernation. I plan to hike in them through this spring/summer/autumn and am confident they'll serve me well.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I've not backpacked that much with them but so far I'm really impressed. I've done a fair bit of longish, non-backpacking walks and they are comfortable (with or without socks) and give a great, sure-footed ground feel.

Last weekend I did two six milers on consecutive days carrying a light overnight pack and they were fine, no foot problems at all. I didn't use them through the winter though, they're just now coming out of hibernation. I plan to hike in them through this spring/summer/autumn and am confident they'll serve me well.

Has anyone else hiked with these long term? I wonder what they would be like for people who suffer toe blisters, better or worse. Whats the ventilation of these shoes like?

I have always suffered blisters on the wee outside toes and nowhere else, this might be down to my wide feet or the heavy weights i used to carry, any good recommendations for trail shoes from people who used to suffer toe blisters would be welcome.....

COL

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Craig, are those hedgehogs not really really really heavy mate, i thought i saw you wearing them at loch Trool when the canoe was a good 8 feet in the air, i just presumed it was your hedgehog shoes that were the problem, or am i wrong mate LOL........

Col

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Nope that was my gore tex combat boots that i had on all weekend , i think that the back seat in the canoe is a bit far back :eek:

I just weighed the hedgehogs 830grams for a pair of size 8s .

Craig...............

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Just bought me some Pacer poles this morning :)

I told you I had it bad at the moment Col

Rich, i wonder if we could get a 2 for 1 discount for shopping rehab therapy, you give me hope that there is some one worse than me for buying kit, although ive just ordered the cuben fibre poncho, aquamira drops, and ti pegs from MLD...

Off now to check out your poles mate.

Col

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Nope that was my gore tex combat boots that i had on all weekend , i think that the back seat in the canoe is a bit far back :eek:

I just weighed the hedgehogs 830grams for a pair of size 8s .

Craig...............

Love it big man, picturing you weighing your shoes on the wives kitchen scales and the wee ones laughing at you, only a guy could think its a great idea to weigh his shoes on a saturday morning....brilliant.

Col

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm gradually replacing my backpacking gear with a mix of diy kit and stuff from the states.

My summer backpacking list for ground and hammock;

Gossamer gear mariposa plus 73L 680g
DD tarp with ripstop door mod 800g
Dyneema lines 180g
Montbell superstretch down hugger no5 680g
DD travel with whoopies 1000g
Pacific outdoor ether mat 500g
Sea to summit silnylon stuff sacks 170g
Alu pegs x 30 200g
Pod sacs rain cover 100g
Fan powered pellet/wood stove 90g
Batteries for stove 70g-180g
Windshield 40g
Trangia pots x 2 and handle 250g
platypus hoser with inline purifier ~200g
Maps/compass/garmin etrex h gps (not worth weighing-essential)
Spyderco bug 0.000000000001mg
Plastic spork I'm not weighing my spork!
Leki carbon poles ~400g
Spare clothes in rucksack straps 200g
Down Gilet 220g
Reflectix for insulation and groundsheet 70g

This all comes in at under 6kg. With food and sleep juice for 5 days, I usually leave with 5kg of food and 1kg whiskey. I love sleeping in a hammock but its not easy with no trees, which is why I carry kit for both. With help from Cuben fibre, I will be able to cut another Kilo at least

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Love it big man, picturing you weighing your shoes on the wives kitchen scales and the wee ones laughing at you, only a guy could think its a great idea to weigh his shoes on a saturday morning....brilliant.

Col

Got it in one mate but the scales are mine , Jen wouldn't even know how to turn them on !

Heather was sitting eating lunch wondering what the hell i was doing !

Craig..............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE