ultralight trekking kit list

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
very recently after years of packing and trekking with 20kg+ kit, ive found the wonder of light weight backpacking. just thought id post what kit ive gathered together for lightweight backpacking and what kit im about to get in a kit list to give other people some ideas and also for people to post their kit list to give me some ideas.

backpack -- MLD Prophet rucksack -- 411g

tarp -- MLD Cuber fibre solo grace tarp -- 161g

bivvy bag -- MLD Superlight bivvy bag with c/f base -- 156g

sleeping bag -- western mountaineering sumerlite bag -- 538g

pegs -- MSR Needle stakes (8 in number) -- 80g

sleeping mat -- pacific outdoor peak elite ac -- 396g

cook system -- evernew solo set (pot/lid/cup ti) -- 149g

cook system -- dx stand cooker titanium --52g

cook system -- ti meths burner evernew --34g

spork -- titanium folding spork --18g

total weight of base weight - carrying system/cook system/sleep system 1.599 kg

I know that we all carry food, water, spare clothes etc but these are all personal choice items, where everyone usually needs a complete base weight kit.

Just thought it would be interesting to see if there is any other ultra light backpackers out there and what kit you take with you and any good tips you have.

Col...

Reactions: Billy-o

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The only thing I would upgrade is the sleeping bag for winter use,How are you getting on with the evernew set up?I love mine but find I am using just the burner more often than the dx stand and burner.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I agree with the sleeping bag, but this is for purely a summer trek, i would change to the western mountaineering ultralight sleeping bag in winter, i think its about 800 odd grams and goes down to -9 or about that. Yeah im about the same using mostly the ti meths stove, but i did a trek with Jason a couple of weeks ago and purely used the dx stand with no problem at all. spent 30 minutes in the evening gathering dead wood twigs from between hazel copice branches and it lasted me that night and next morning no problem....

Col

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I use the stove in the dx and find it's just a quick to use the trivet(and lighter) Mainly I just put the pot straight onto the burner.The solo set has got to be the best pot set I've ever used.
As for sleeping I have a Blacks own make down bag that I've put a bit extra down into,It weighs 1150g but is rated to -15 (allegedly). My kip mat is an exped synmat 7 DLX.I am happy to carry the extra weight of these as I'm guaranteed a good warm nights sleep.
I have often thought about going lighter but I'm happy to carry my kit as it is now ,for a full weekend including food and water my kit weighs in at about 7Kg.When you consider of that 2Kg is sleeping stuff and 3 Kg is water I think I'm about as light as I can be.
Nice to see another lightweight here.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Your right Sapper, it is always a balance between being obsessed about getting your kit as light as possible and being able to still enjoy your trek and have a good nights sleep, but i do know that it doesnt matter if you are carrying 6kg or 10kg, as long as its not 26kg. What i have learned is that just because you can carry 26kg 100mile, doesnt mean you should.

What footwear are you using these days?, im thinking of changing from my goretex boots to lightweight trail shoes that are lighter and more breathable, although there is the school of thought about ankle support, i suppose if i dont try it i wont know if its better.

Col

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I tend to use footwear that suits the weather,In the summer I prefer open sandals(no ankle support,but then I'm not really carrying anything that needs it)In the colder weather I wear boots,mainly because in Wales it's muddy and I don't like cold feet.If it was warm and wet I'd stick with the sandals.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was backpacking fairly regularly before I got into the bushcrafty stuff, it's funny how these things come round in cycles. My kit then consisted of 1.5kg tents, down bags which were bulky compared to todays offerings, foam mats, ally pans and petrol stoves, I reckon my base weight back then was around 25kgs too :)
When I did the Woodsmoke course for charity in 2000 I got totally hooked, sold all my backpacking gear and started buying everything in cotton and steel, it was like going back 40 years :)
I'm back on the lightweight thing again now though and my Paypal account is taking a right battering at the moment. Recent purchases have been ...

MLD Trailstar
MLD Superlight bivvy
MiniBull Designs Mini Atomic 2
MiniBull Designs Questionable Mental Health Cook kit :)
Lightweight water filter (instead of hanging a steel billy over a fire)
Osprey Exos 46 (in Jungle Green, just couldn't resist that one :))
NeoAir Short mat (£54 at Field & Trek)
Alpkit Pipedream 400

I think a lot of it has come from finding hammockforums.net and seeing how they take traditional hammock camping to a whole new lighter level. A lot of the camping the guys over there are doing is on established long distance trails so weight has become a premium, hammock camping was never going to be lightweight but it's good to see that we're now equalling the kind of loads that ground dwellers are carrying. The added incentive of the TGO Challenge next year has got me shopping again, all this talk of 7 & 8kg base weights has really made me look at what I carry on the hills. I'll still be hanging onto my "bombproof" gear for jaunts in the canoe because I'm still equally as happy sat in a forest or on a loch side enjoying a fire and cooking stews in the dutchie.

Plus I'm a kit ***** :)

Reactions: Billy-o

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
For light weight foot wear which has ankle support use Merrel Moab mids gtx I have been using them almost a year. up in the lakes district and in the peak district and monro bagging and a few hills in wales too even done some bog jumping in them too, great shoes and really light.

I do everything from light weight to heavy camping, bush-crafting, walking and expeditions a lot of kit for different environments and situations and jobs :)

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
For light weight foot wear which has ankle support use Merrel Moab mids gtx I have been using them almost a year. up in the lakes district and in the peak district and monro bagging and a few hills in wales too even done some bog jumping in them too, great shoes and really light.

I do everything from light weight to heavy camping, bush-crafting, walking and expeditions a lot of kit for different environments and situations and jobs :)

I was looking at a waterproof pair of keen trail shoes, but when i got into it a bit more, the general reviews seem to point to goretex trail shoes just dont work, the theory being that, if you are wearing ankle high shoes with goretex, first stream and they will be soaked and take ages to dry. So most people seem to be going for light weight breathable trail shoes that aint goretex, they then dry alot quicker than goretex and if you are worried about wet feet, then they seem to say, go for goretex socks..

Col

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I was backpacking fairly regularly before I got into the bushcrafty stuff, it's funny how these things come round in cycles. My kit then consisted of 1.5kg tents, down bags which were bulky compared to todays offerings, foam mats, ally pans and petrol stoves, I reckon my base weight back then was around 25kgs too :)
When I did the Woodsmoke course for charity in 2000 I got totally hooked, sold all my backpacking gear and started buying everything in cotton and steel, it was like going back 40 years :)
I'm back on the lightweight thing again now though and my Paypal account is taking a right battering at the moment. Recent purchases have been ...

MLD Trailstar
MLD Superlight bivvy
MiniBull Designs Mini Atomic 2
MiniBull Designs Questionable Mental Health Cook kit :)
Lightweight water filter (instead of hanging a steel billy over a fire)
Osprey Exos 46 (in Jungle Green, just couldn't resist that one :))
NeoAir Short mat (£54 at Field & Trek)
Alpkit Pipedream 400

I think a lot of it has come from finding hammockforums.net and seeing how they take traditional hammock camping to a whole new lighter level. A lot of the camping the guys over there are doing is on established long distance trails so weight has become a premium, hammock camping was never going to be lightweight but it's good to see that we're now equalling the kind of loads that ground dwellers are carrying. The added incentive of the TGO Challenge next year has got me shopping again, all this talk of 7 & 8kg base weights has really made me look at what I carry on the hills. I'll still be hanging onto my "bombproof" gear for jaunts in the canoe because I'm still equally as happy sat in a forest or on a loch side enjoying a fire and cooking stews in the dutchie.

Plus I'm a kit ***** :)

Thanks for taking time to put that list together Rich, some items there that i havent looked at, i have a feeling looking at your list might cost me some money mate....

Col

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I was looking at a waterproof pair of keen trail shoes, but when i got into it a bit more, the general reviews seem to point to goretex trail shoes just dont work, the theory being that, if you are wearing ankle high shoes with goretex, first stream and they will be soaked and take ages to dry. So most people seem to be going for light weight breathable trail shoes that aint goretex, they then dry alot quicker than goretex and if you are worried about wet feet, then they seem to say, go for goretex socks..

Col

Or wear sandals and carry a lightweight towel

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Col

That's the crux of it Col, you either accept the wet feet and hope it's a good enough day that they'll dry, or you go for the fuller waterproof boot and hope you don't get them too wet inside. I fancy giving the Terrocs a go and seeing how I get on with wet feet, my mind tells me I'll be back to a decent boot though.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Merrel Kahuna 2,I had a job lot a few years ago,7 pairs in my size from a closing down sale.Really comfortable and stay on my feet with a good sole.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Socks and sandals,have you no shame.My wife wouldn't let me out of the house wearing socks and sandals,bare feet with sandals for me.
Heres what I was carrying last november.

Pack golite JAM2 879
Groundsheet half an IPK 270
Kip mat karrimor ultralite 600
Sleeping bag Blacks Technicals (-10) 1150
Bivibag Highlander Hawk 770
Tarp and fittings DD tarp Titanium pegs
Para cord ridge line and lightweight guys 960
1L water bottle nalgene 180
1L water bottle Source 28
Cook kit
MSR titan kettle
Lifeventure cup
Vargo Decagon stove
Tibetian spork
Total weight 250
First Aid Kit 146
Repair Kit 108
Bog paper 24
Had wash antibacterial 200
Towel 100
Sponge 8
Water purifying kit 7
Torch+batteries 61
Headlight petzl e+lite 45
space blanket +waterproof poncho 100
Waterproof jacket 350
Water proof trousers 90

Total (if my addition is correct) 6327 grammes
6.3 kilogrammes
13.9 lbs

I've changed quite a bit of it and don't carry all of it now

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Socks and sandals,have you no shame.My wife wouldn't let me out of the house wearing socks and sandals,bare feet with sandals for me.
Heres what I was carrying last november.

Pack golite JAM2 879
Groundsheet half an IPK 270
Kip mat karrimor ultralite 600
Sleeping bag Blacks Technicals (-10) 1150
Bivibag Highlander Hawk 770
Tarp and fittings DD tarp Titanium pegs
Para cord ridge line and lightweight guys 960
1L water bottle nalgene 180
1L water bottle Source 28
Cook kit
MSR titan kettle
Lifeventure cup
Vargo Decagon stove
Tibetian spork
Total weight 250
First Aid Kit 146
Repair Kit 108
Bog paper 24
Had wash antibacterial 200
Towel 100
Sponge 8
Water purifying kit 7
Torch+batteries 61
Headlight petzl e+lite 45
space blanket +waterproof poncho 100
Waterproof jacket 350
Water proof trousers 90

Total (if my addition is correct) 6327 grammes
6.3 kilogrammes
13.9 lbs

I've changed quite a bit of it and don't carry all of it now

Thanks for sharing that Sapper, it looks a good honest kit, with all the kit you really need and give less experienced people an idea of what they have to aim for.

Col

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Hey col , you could plan your days walk round camping near a pub that way you cut out the need to carry heavy bottles and they are good for the odd meal .

Craig...................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE