Ultralight Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just incase you didn't find it, my review of the exped lightning 65 can be found [thread=138101]here[/thread]. I've been very happy with it. One thing of note, when they say that it's upper limit is 24kg, they mean it, go above that and it's comfort is greatly reduced.

C_cv-hYXsAAhg_x.jpg:large

You can get a lot in... and on this pack... (that's a pair of 700mm bike wheels attached to the outside of the pack, photo taken on the Eurostar. )

Add yourself to the 9 exped lightnings whose purchases my review has inspired! :p

J

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
why don't you like that? The non rigid design and roll top opening are the exact reason I want the lightning lol!

The lack of frame is a problem because it compromises the carrying comfort when loaded. If you can exercise self restraint in overstuffing / overweighing it's not so much an issue, but from personal experience 14kg is about the limit to my pack. Above that weight and it starts to distort the back panel, and the weight transfer isn't so good.

I would think a single stay such as on the Thunder would give the rigidity needed for effective weight transfer onto the hips, for minimal weight.

As for the roll top, well yes it's lighter, but it's also a pain in behind hinderance in use - the long 'tube' of the rolled section just gets in the way when rooting around in the bag. I've also had water ingress from standing water in the rolls.

Golite went bust AFAIK and I don't think you can get it anymore.

On the plus sides, the dyneema nylon ripstop fabric is amazing. I've not babied it at all and there's practically zero wear. It certainly suggests 1000d 'ballistic nylon' etc bags are all just overengineered marketing. I would be 100% comfortable buying another UL bag or recommending one.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
The pack you described is pretty much bang on the Golite Jam, which is an excellent pack

Coup, the guy that started Golite, started a new business when Golite went bust and bought the patents. The new company is called My Trail Co and most of the products are former Golite products

This is the new version of the Golite Jam - https://mytrailco.com/collections/packs/products/backpack-light-50l

I had the original Jam and upgraded to the Jam 2 when it was released, both in size large. I still use it. If you can pack a rucksack well and don't have heavyweight kit it's highly recommended. I last used it in the Alps in October for a bivy in the snow

EDIT - it's a frameless pack, that might be a deal breaker for you

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE