Ultra lightweight alcohol stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Mine has only been used for a test boil so far, but with a drip feed and windshield I think it will be a good little stove. Not the fastest to boil but takes up hardly any room.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I believe a mod of the wick could reduce the boil significantly. This is a very compact stove so boil times will never be very quick but for a simmer stove it looks excellent.

I would certainly increase the wick height, I have never found flush wicking to be that great. 5 or so mm above the rim would be a good starting point and in itself could increase the heat output. Also making a 'donut ring' to fit without impeding the legs too much would get the 500ml boil down to single figures.

The stove looks like it has a small alcohol capacity, maybe 10 ml to overflowing with the current wick? Upgrading the wick to a donut style should increase the capacity nearer 15ml which should be enough to boil a mugs worth of water for tea or coffee in any situation without needing a remote feed.

With regard to the remote feed, using the squeezy bottle kind you will always have the suck back effect unless you release the vacuum. Also the height of the nipple doesn't help. You can easily make a DIY feeder out of any plastic bottle with a quick mod to the screw on cap, or go further and make a more complicated feeder along the lines of a smokeeater 908 fire-plug or MBD SS remote. All you have to do is find the sweet spot height for the remote so it neither overfills or under supplies the stove.

A wind shield I think would help with this type of stove and a must for outdoor use.

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE