Lightweight hobo stove with titanium pot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
The brief - create a lightweight cooking system suitable for use during my 400 mile charity walk through the UK in June and then later for the GR10 in the Pyrenees. Must be lightweight and to keep it simple and light must use locally available biomass. I didn't want the expense/hassle/weight of messing about with alcohol or gas canisters.

I already had an Ikea sink tidy that I'd cut a rectangular hole out of to feed twigs into it. I bought a 0.9l titanium pot from those nice people at Alpkit. The 0.9l pot didn't quite fit inside the sink tidy so here's what I did.

1. Use an angle grider with metal grinding disk to grind away the rolled over top lip of the sink tidy. Once ground off this allows the titanium pot to just fit inside.
2. But full entry is prohibited by the fold out handles of the pot.
3. Solution. Using jigsaw and a metal cutting blade cut a rectangular piece out of the sink tidy just wide enough to accomodate the handle. This lets the pot slide neatly into the sink tidy/hobo stove and rest neatly in the 'low' position. If you prefer to use the pot higher up perhaps to burn more biomass underneath then I use a tent peg - one of your own titanium models.

Total weight of pot and stove with lid is 292g.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE